America's Dangerous Moral Crusade

Urdedpal

As a writer, I don't only write for myself. My satisfaction is beyond having written an article and has it published in this column. I write because I want other people to know my thoughts, my sentiments, my desires, my philosophy. I write because I want to build relationships.

Should writing is only meant to my satisfaction, I would not have ventured into column writing. I would have kept my pieces in my diaries instead.

But, since writing for me is making relationship, I would be more interested in knowing that indeed someone reads my articles... my thoughts. This is the reason that having received a text message or email to compliment me for or in reaction to certain topic I wrote gives me a feeling of fulfillment in my writing endeavor. And, I have that another experience this week.

In response to my column "Not a statement of fact, but a statement of possibility" last March 20-21 issue of TNT, an American reader, Robert Sharpe, who is a Policy Analyst, sent me his assessment on the possible rationale of the US report labeling the Philippines a "drug smugglers' paradise".

I have to reiterate that though said report would gain this country the necessary support in its anti-drug campaign, I vehemently condemn it on the premise that, according to PDEA Chief, Director Anselmo Avenido, "it was not a statement of fact, but a statement of possibility."

This country suffers too much political unrest, enough to scare investors. Putting it another negative label as haven of drug traffickers would do to our economy more harm than good. I believe, having well-meaning investors in our country is far more significant and lasting good effect than any US aid for anti-drug campaign can make in our economy.

Relative to my personal reaction on that US State report, Mr Sharpe warns us of the real intention of the United States in giving such "statements of possibility". Mr Sharpe has this to say:

"xxx before the Philippines imprisons more of its own citizens for drug offenses in order to please the United States, it should consider the experience of the former land of the free and current record holder in citizens incarcerated. Here in the United States, police searches on public transit, drug-sniffing dogs in schools, and random drug testing have led to a loss of civil liberties, while failing miserably at preventing drug use.

The drug war is in large part a war on marijuana, by far the most popular illicit drug. The University of Michigan's Monitoring the Future survey reports that lifetime use of marijuana is higher in the U.S. than any European country, yet America is one of the few Western countries that uses its criminal justice system to punish citizens who prefer marijuana to martinis. Unlike alcohol, marijuana has never been shown to cause an overdose death, nor does it share the addictive properties of tobacco.

Despite clear evidence that draconian laws fail to deter use [of marijuana], the U.S. government uses its superpower status to export a dangerous moral crusade around the globe. The short-term health effects of marijuana are inconsequential compared to the long-term effects of criminal records. Unfortunately, marijuana represents the counter culture to misguided reactionaries intent on prosecuting their version of morality. The Philippines should Just Say No to the American Inquisition."

An American himself encourages us to Just Say No to the American Inquisition. Then, do we still have to prefer US State Department's "statement of possibility" over the urgent need of our country to salvage its economy? If by issuing said reports the US can advance its moral crusade across the globe, Filipinos must put it a halt with its own crusade to afloat its economy amid the political turmoil!

Source: News Today, The (Philippines)
Copyright: 2006 The News Today

We want peace without
Patriot missiles,
Blown to bits are civilian targets,
Parade! Laugh! Rejoice! Sing!
We are the victors of...nothing,
Spend more money on a war,
Your people starving, turned to whores,
Slaves of the chosen one paying millions for each bomb,

Country without a race ,
Formed from people you disgrace ,