Amnesty Program Offers Another Chance

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
WEBB CITY, Mo. — Teddy Barber admitted that the police van parked in front of the court building made him “nervous.” He showed up Tuesday for an appearance at Webb City’s first amnesty program.

“My heart was pounding,” the 30-year-old Barber said after his court appearance. “Usually, when the van is around, they’re about to take some people away.”

Municipal Judge Mark Elliston did his best before court began to assure Barber and about 15 others that the purpose of the session was merely to clear up outstanding warrants for minor traffic and drug offenses.

“The most important thing is we want to give you a fresh beginning,” he told the audience. “We don’t want to put you in jail.”

The amnesty program was offered to clear up outstanding warrants from Webb City, Oronogo, Carl Junction, Carterville and Duquesne municipal courts, with representatives from each of those towns present. Court employees estimated there were 1,000 outstanding warrants.

Barber said he thought it was “awesome” to be allowed to clear up the remainder of an unpaid fine for a marijuana-possession offense without being arrested.

“I was almost done with my fines, so I’m glad this happened,” he said. “A $100 sack (of marijuana), and I’m paying $1,000 for it.”

Webb City police Chief Carl Francis said the program provides a means for getting the court system caught up on unpaid fines associated with misdemeanors. He said it provides positive results for both the defendants and the communities.

“It’s better all the way around,” he said. “If they come in and make a payment arrangement, they can avoid getting arrested and get back on track.”

Francis said an arrest would add additional expenses and could affect a person’s ability to pay off the initial outstanding fine.

This is the first time these communities have offered such an amnesty deal. The city of Joplin offered two similar sessions last year.

Francis said the program also provides a means to relieve potential jail overcrowding. A typical misdemeanor offense does not result in jail time, but a person who is arrested on an outstanding warrant is likely to be incarcerated for some time.

“These are misdemeanor offenders that aren’t going to jail anyway,” he said. “Our jails are not big enough for every misdemeanor offender.”

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Joplin Globe
Author: Greg Grisolano
Copyright: 2009 The Joplin Globe
Website: The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO - Amnesty program offers another chance to those with outstanding warrants

Back
Top Bottom