Australia: Medicinal Cannabis Users Fearful Of Arrest Seek Lift To Protest

Robert Celt

Medicinal cannabis users are looking for rides to a protest site on the New South Wales north coast, claiming they are too fearful to drive themselves.

Supporters of the medical use of the drug believe they are vulnerable now police are doing frequent road-side saliva tests.

Lismore resident Ron Jones has been using medicinal cannabis for six years to help with chronic pain and emphysema.

He wants to meet with the Member for Lismore, Thomas George, to talk about legislative change for those using the drug for health issues.

"I rely totally on a car to get around and I just need to go and talk to Thomas George and find out more information on what I can do to survive," Mr Jones said.

"I'm in a lot of pain, I am in pain 24/7, I have emphysema. I have trouble breathing, I have no energy, up where I live I need a car to get into the shops and town.

"The cannabis helps me breath, I have spondylitis of the backbone and I am in quite a bit of pain with it and it enables me to move my body around without so much pain."

A gathering is planned for tomorrow outside the local MP's office but organisers said many protesters who wanted to attend would need a designated driver to get them there.

Mr Jones was among those too scared to drive himself to the protest.

He said he lived in fear of being caught by police.

"I have been paranoid, I'm suffering badly from anxiety now because of it," Mr Jones said.

"I look after people, I go shopping for my neighbour, run her to medical appointments and other things but every time I see a police car I am having these really bad anxiety attacks and paranoia."

Mr Jones supports road-side saliva testing for recreational drug use and wants police to continue using it to keep other drug users off the roads.

"Other drugs, far worse than cannabis will ever, be are causing all the trouble," he said.

Saliva_test.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Australia: Medicinal Cannabis Users Fearful Of Arrest Seek Lift To Protest
Author: Elloise Farrow-Smith
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom