Backup Generator

jcshap

Given all the storms and blackouts we have had in the NE the past few years, Im thinking of installing a backup generator in my place so I dont lose all my hard work. I have propane heat, so I can just attach my propane tank to a back up generator, but not sure what size to get. Does anyone know the calculation how I can figure out how many MW generator I would need?

Thanks

There's sites that have this info, you need the volts and amps to get the answer.
I'd look at a simple power inverter. I have a 1000/2000 inverter that works great off 12v car batteries. You can also get a UPS like they use in computer rooms, they keep power on and can give you time to switch over.

I think you'll find that it's really not worth it, the inverter ran me about $100, but my 6250 10HP generator ran me over $400 ... consider how much damage would happen if you lost power for say 5 or 6 hours. Even hydro should withstand a 1/2 day being off.

i bought a 5500 watt generator and had an electrician wire it directly to my breaker box. total cost $1500. but a winter power loss would not only take away my light but also heat. the 5500 watts will run two of my 600w hps lights and the furnace. the heat also keeps my wife happy. before the generator we had to go to a motel a couple times because the house got too cold.

Back
Top Bottom