Battling For Alex Renton One Year On

Katelyn Baker

One year to the day since the death of her 19-year-old son Alex, Nelson woman Rose Renton's fight for medicinal cannabis law reform continued with a protest held outside the offices of Nelson MP Nick Smith on Waimea Road this afternoon.

More than 30 supporters joined Renton on the hour long vigil, as well as messages received from other advocates around the country.

A steady stream of toots from passing vehicles also added their support.

"There's no better day to do this - it celebrates who he was and the message he gave us, and for me I wasn't letting the day go by with no change to the laws," Renton said.

Alex died on July 1, 2015 after being in Wellington Hospital for three months, sedated with a range of drugs to stop him having mysterious seizures.

His treatment included groundbreaking use of medicinal cannabis oil, Elixinol, after a campaign by mother Rose and family after conventional treatments did not work.

Since Alex's passing, Renton has campaigned strongly for the government to make cannabis-based medications available in New Zealand with immediate effect.

A petition started by in March has already gained 10,000 signatures, which she said was encouraging and reflected the level of national support for medicinal cannabis law reform.

She admits the job is far from complete, however, and is ready to fight on.

"Helen Kelly has been talking about a citizen-initiated referendum which takes 350,000 signatures and a hell of a lot of man power, so we want to keep that kind of momentum going, because I refuse to be silent."

Dr Smith was in Christchurch to attend the National Party conference and was unaware of the protest outside his offices.

While he acknowledged the groups right to protest and would not rule out any reform, he maintained that any changes needed to be based on the very best science and health advice.

"I am a conservative on cannabis because of the very strong medical evidence and studies like the Dunedin longitudinal research, which shows the huge damage that the drug does to peoples well being and health," he said.

"The argument about medical use of cannabis needs to be made on strong scientific grounds."

He was worried that many advocates for medicinal cannabis were actually advocates for broader liberalisation, using medical use as a "trojan horse" for wider recreational use.

credMartinDeRuyter.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Battling For Alex Renton One Year On
Author: Tim O'Connell
Photo Credit: Martin De Ruyter

Back
Top Bottom