BC: Local Marijuana Stand

Katelyn Baker

The city needs to take a stand against a medical marijuana dispensary operating without a business licence, according to Mayor Andrew Jakubeit.

Jukka Laurio, operator of the Herbal Green Apothecary, told Castanet he felt "blindsided" by a city council decision not to approve his application for a temporary use permit to operate the dispensary, saying an agreement between him and the city was all but signed.

But Jakubeit said in this week's Mayor's Minute on Castanet council still had discretion on which to approve and which to decline.

"We were quite clear, they're temporary use permits, they still have to get authorized by council and council has discretion. There were seven applications, council approved two of them."

That means Laurio may have to wait until spring, or longer — when the federal government is expected to introduce legislation to legalize marijuana for recreational use — before he can legally operate a dispensary in the city.

"When a bit more legislation comes from the federal government and the province, we'll revisit it," Jakubeit said. "But in the meantime, there's two, and that was really to address the real problem of access to medical marijuana, and so we wanted to make sure that avenue was there."

Part of the process, according to Jakubeit, was a bit of population control on the dispensaries, which appeared to grow in numbers over the months.

"We had two, and then we had four, now we had seven, and everyone started jockeying in position. So, we wanted to make sure it doesn't proliferate and grow out of control without trying to put some controls in place."

With that in mind, Jakubeit said it was the city's "obligation" to bring about action against Laurio if he continues to operate his business.

"It's not just that one industry ... If others say, 'Well, why should I get a business licence, why should I pay this, why should I do that, because you're not going to do anything about it, or this guy did it,' you really have to take a stand."

DustinGodfrey.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Local Marijuana Stand
Author: Dustin Godfrey
Photo Credit: Dustin Godfrey

Back
Top Bottom