BC: Pot Dispensary Shuttered

Katelyn Baker

The operator of a medical marijuana dispensary in Penticton has closed his doors for now, after the city issued a notice of non-occupancy Wednesday.

Mayor Andrew Jakubeit said Herbal Greens Apothecary was given the notice to cease operation as the city is currently suspending the business licence and have scheduled a hearing for operator Jukka Laurio.

"It's not about the merits of medical marijuana, as patients will still have access through mail order," he said. "Storefront distribution is currently not permitted through the Criminal Code of Canada."

Laurio first received a suspenson of business licence notice earlier this year and continued operating his Westminster Avenue business as he waited for a hearing date to appeal.

He made the decision to close on Wednesday after receiving the notice of non-occupancy.

"I've been waiting since the end of April for a hearing to be scheduled and I'm finally glad that they are stepping up to the plate and we get to discuss this matter," he said Thursday, as he stood outside his business.

Laurio added this not only impacts him, but the many customers he serves in the community, who started showing up at 8 a.m. on Thursday.

"People who are used to coming here for their medicinal cannabis products, who have been coming here for over a year now, are very upset," he said. "It fills a well-known need and that's the reason for it, and it has become a cause for me, more than anything else."

"I feel so sorry for some of the people because they are old and ill."

Laurio's hearing, which is open to the public, will take place at 3 p.m. July 19 in council chambers at city hall.

He said he plans to re-open his coffee shop, The Rush In and Finish Cafe, on Friday where he will sell coffee and baked goods.

The city has also issued warnings to three other dispensaries in the city, the mayor said.

Pot shops are also currently not welcome in Osoyoos.

credDeborahPfeiffer.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pot Dispensary Shuttered
Author: Deborah Pfeiffer
Photo Credit: Deborah Pfeiffer

Back
Top Bottom