Best Type Of CFL To Use?

I'm in the same boat as you Dentu. Been spending lots of time researching the CFL's. I've read several references that say 2000K will work and that's what I'm going to try. I will have a small 2-plant SCOG grow and hoping this will be plenty.
Hey there tucker 99..thanks for the input. Until I order some Quality strain, I started some seeds from the commercial that I get. I don't feel comfortable with the sog or scrog methods, so I just have them growing as "God" meant them to grow, not the best I know, but it is just a trial run. As of week 4, I have 4 or 5 descent plants growing, just on a shelf with cfl's pointed at them.

I have a grow tent, and picking up the items for a "real" grow as I can afford them. For now, I have a small set up I'm working on as my arthritis lets me. I'm using the stereo section of an entertainment center. It's a closed glass section that's 17"x19"x 4', lined with mylar with 8 daylight bulbs. I figure I can use it later for clones or seedlings. But, like I said, theses babies are like a practice run, hoping to get a bit out, but also hoping to learn from it.
Thanks again for your reach out..always love to hear from other 420ers,

Hey there tucker 99..thanks for the input. Until I order some Quality strain, I started some seeds from the commercial that I get. I don't feel comfortable with the sog or scrog methods, so I just have them growing as "God" meant them to grow, not the best I know, but it is just a trial run. As of week 4, I have 4 or 5 descent plants growing, just on a shelf with cfl's pointed at them.

I have a grow tent, and picking up the items for a "real" grow as I can afford them. For now, I have a small set up I'm working on as my arthritis lets me. I'm using the stereo section of an entertainment center. It's a closed glass section that's 17"x19"x 4', lined with mylar with 8 daylight bulbs. I figure I can use it later for clones or seedlings. But, like I said, theses babies are like a practice run, hoping to get a bit out, but also hoping to learn from it.
Thanks again for your reach out..always love to hear from other 420ers,

Very nice! Are you having luck sexing the plants. I had a very amaturistic grow a few years ago and really have a hard time with the sexing thing. I need to read up more on this. My cabinet is a metal office storage cabinet 72" X 36" X 18". Yea, living in the chicken-shit state of Maryland, I don't see legalization anytime soon. I think your neighboring states may see it in 2016 though. I'm going to use DW hydro grow. I choosing SCOG because the CFL's are reported to have very little penetration and the small but numerous buds seem to do real well for some guys. Hopefully I won't screw it up too much. 4-weeks in and summer around the corner are you having any heat problems?

Concerning the lumens and CFLs ...
I know a few folks that grow with CFLs only, for similar reasons, so I asked their thoughts. They seem to endorse Sylvannia brand CFL 100w (23w consumed) 6500k for Veg and 2700k for Flower (they are listed at about 1700 lumens each). During Veg they use four bulbs per plant, spaced around the plant sides and one on top, maintaining about two inches from contacting any leaves. Daily readjustment of the bulbs in later Veg phase is required as they can grow quickly. Flowering is really where CFLs tend to struggle, and it can require adding a few more bulbs (2700k) to illuminate all ares that are not brightly lit. CFLs lack penetration. Hope this helps!
JB
:420:

Thanks JB yes, big help. I've read a lot about the CFL's inability to penetrate. I think a good answer to that is a scog grow. I would think the compact space requirement would make it a popular method but it doesn't seem many folks use it. That concerns me, I may have to rethink my grow cabinet.

Tucker99,
CFLs can and do work, just not as well as the hotter HID and HPS. I've seen a yield of 94 grams dried via a 20x20 tent with 4 CFL 100W bulbs from one plant. About 6 months from seedling to c ure, but it does work for small scale grow. Search the :420:grow journals for CFL grows and you'll find several that have had good results with CFL all the way. It;s not optimal, but it does work with a lot of light adjustment and attention. It is not a set it and forget it light for sure!:peace:

Very nice! Are you having luck sexing the plants. I had a very amaturistic grow a few years ago and really have a hard time with the sexing thing. I need to read up more on this. My cabinet is a metal office storage cabinet 72" X 36" X 18". Yea, living in the chicken-shit state of Maryland, I don't see legalization anytime soon. I think your neighboring states may see it in 2016 though. I'm going to use DW hydro grow. I choosing SCOG because the CFL's are reported to have very little penetration and the small but numerous buds seem to do real well for some guys. Hopefully I won't screw it up too much. 4-weeks in and summer around the corner are you having any heat problems?
Hey tucker99! Glad to hear from you. My bag seeds are going better than I ever thought they would. I don't seem to be having any problem with too much heat...I have a small fan that runs on batteries that help with that(really don't think I need it for heat, the cfl's really don't put off a lot of heat)but it's mostly to help with the plants..read somewhere that a little circulation of air helps the plants become a little stronger.

You mentioned scog...I thought about doing that, but it really seems too complicated for me at this point. Let me know how it works with the hydro grow, another thing I'm interested in since I have a "heavy" hand when it come to watering....lost a few plants due to it....ok, I even killed a cactus once..lol.

Well good luck and keep me informed on anything you can think of....really can't wait on ordering a really nice strain....would love to smoke something better than commercial...but what can you do when living on a fixed income. Peace!

Almost forgot...haven't had a problem sexing the plants yet....still a little early...should see something within the next couple of weeks...hoping for females!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom