Beware! - GPS location stored in pictures

robertbergman

Hi Guys,

This has probably been discussed before but i couldn't find it that quick. All digital cameras, including those on smartphones, store something called EXIF data in the photo. It stores lots of things like shutter/aperture, ISO setting, what lens/focal length you used, whether flash was used (the exact features depend on your camera). But beware if you have a digital camera or smartphone with a GPS receiver! Now this is often a useful thing as well, as you get maps when you are travelling - but the camera software often also stores the location of your photo in the EXIF data.

Worst case scenario is that you have a huge farm and a nice marijuana growing operation going on. It will be easy for authorities to locate your grow area from just one picture. If you live in a city it's less of a problem because GPS is accurate within 10 to 50 feet.

Some websites like facebook wipe it automatically when you upload pictures. I don't know if 420 magazine does this as well but it might be something to consider.

How to delete exif data?

-Switch off geotagging
-Remove the exif data with software (i always use easy exif delete)
-Make print screen of the picture
-Or use a camera without GPS receiver....

Any other ideas?

Robert

This made me check my pics and even though I have geo tagging disabled exif was still found...
Good info and thanks for the link.

Edit:Tested images I had loaded to 420Magazine and they are clean so it looks like they take care of it. ;)

Although we sincerely understand your concern, we would like to assure you that it is completely safe to post your photos here as long as you follow our Posting Guidelines. Our software strips the location information from the photos that are uploaded to our photo gallery. The manufacturer of our software has stated, "The image processor strips the data, any image created using an image processor will destroy the info."

As one who is concerned about their personal safety, keep in mind the following tips when posting photos: Make sure that there is no identifying information anywhere in the photo, i.e. license plates, papers or labels with names, addresses, or phone numbers on them. Be mindful of objects in the background as well, i.e. mirrors or other things that reveal your identity like prescription bottles or magazine labels.

Welcome to the community
:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom