Bug question

Google "cannabis insects" or something like that. Best guess is that you have fungus gnats growing in your soil. They are common and you should deal with them immediately.

2017-07-05_Day_36_Neem_oil_001.JPG

Ok cool and how would I use it?

I'm just learning myself. Since fungus gnats seem to be extremely common, there is a ton of discussion out there about how to get rid of them. My understanding is 1) Deal with the problem immediately, before it turns into an epidemic, 2) try to keep the soil dry (like by watering less often and blowing a fan on the soil, 3) apply neem oil to the soil, which is somehow toxic to the maggots.

People also apply diatomaceous earth, but that has to be kept dry. And guy in the video at my grow log says that having an inch of sand at the top and bottom of the pot keeps bugs from growing in them. Oh, and sticky traps.

If you check back on my coco coir grow log listed below, I'll report how my battle is going. I would be interested to hear your results as well.

Sprinkle diatomaceous earth (about 1/2 inch) on the top of the soil .this will kill the larvae that have been placed in wet soil by adults that eventually feed on roots if not tended to . as far as the adults try sticky traps at the base of the plant where you see me they like to hang out. as for the neem oil ..you can use that once as well as it leaves a shiny coat of neem on then leaves that ALOT of insect and spider mite detest so it's good maintenance. Don't double up the neem oil though as doing so clogs the stomata of the plants leaves essentially choking it. Neem oil once then water the next time .good luck
GFP

Sprinkle diatomaceous earth (about 1/2 inch) on the top of the soil .this will kill the larvae that have been placed in wet soil by adults that eventually feed on roots if not tended to . as far as the adults try sticky traps at the base of the plant where you see me they like to hang out. as for the neem oil ..you can use that once as well as it leaves a shiny coat of neem on then leaves that ALOT of insect and spider mite detest so it's good maintenance. Don't double up the neem oil though as doing so clogs the stomata of the plants leaves essentially choking it. Neem oil once then water the next time .good luck
GFP
So after I have the layer on top what's next? How do I feed my plant? Do I feed right over the top of the DE?

I went and got both the DE and neem oil.. only using DE atm tho.. had it ok n there for 2 days with sticky traps and caps of ginger and soapy water.. seems to be working.. I don't see anymore flying.. but not sure if I water her right over top of the DE or just fill the run off pan and let her drink up what she wants?

Back
Top Bottom