Bummer! Some Get $100 Tickets At Boston Pro-Pot Rally

There was something different in the air today at the 20th annual Boston Freedom Rally at the Boston Common. And it wasn't just the clouds of pungent marijuana smoke.

It was the first time the rally organized by the Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coailition had been held since voters passed Proposition 2 last November, which decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana.

The changed law gave attendees reason to celebrate and a better chance of not getting arrested -- a scenario organizers say is a welcome change for the event, which has caused controversy over the years, including many arrests and multiple legal battles with the city over permitting issues.

The new law decriminalizes possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. But that did not stop police from handing out handfuls of $100 tickets when they caught festival-goers with pot.

Sean McGivney, 19, of Hampton, N.H., was one of several interviewed who received tickets.

"We were sitting politely, minding our own business, making a point not to smoke when people were around," he said. "That is when a guy came up and told us to 'hand it over.'"

McGivney said he was pleased the laws had become more lenient, but added, "I don't think it's enough."

In past years, many attending the rallies have smoked marijuana openly as an act of civil disobedience. The event has been held at Boston Common since 1992.

"After years of helplessly watching Boston Police bag harmless stoners, it will be a joy to see people enjoying themselves without the threat or fear of arrest," Dr. Keith Saunders, president of MassCann/NORML, said on the rally's website.

Officer Joseph Zanoli, spokesman for the Boston Police Department, said that by midafternoon 100 tickets had been given out and three arrests were made for possession with intent to distribute marijuana.

"From our reports, the assembly was peaceful and orderly," he said.

In previous years, attendees caught smoking marijuana were often detained and charged with criminal offenses. Last year's rally, described by police spokesman James Kenneally as "rather orderly" resulted in six arrests, much fewer than in previous years. In 2006, for example, 53 were arrested for marijuana possession.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Boston Globe
Author: Michael Corcoran
Copyright: 2009 NY Times Co.
Website: Bummer! Some Get $100 Tickets At Boston Pro-Pot Rally

“We were sitting politely, minding our own business, making a point not to smoke when people were around,” he said. “That is when a guy came up and told us to ‘hand it over.’”

Would love to have heard how this played out.

What happened to "No officer, I do not consent to a search. No officer, I decline to answer any of your questions without my lawyer present"

It's "Push Back".Every time you think you've won, they push back.You think you beat the system?WRONG.They come out blazing & show you who's running things.Think you have the law on your side? NOPE.They are the "Law" & they are NOT on your side.Think that ticket you got is bogus? Fine,go get a lawyer,but you better have deep pockets my friends.Dont cost nothing for their legal fees to prosecute you cause taxpayer $$ pays their costs & since you'r the taxpayer,you'r paying to prosecute yourself.Hell of a scam isn't it.Make you want to give up? That's exactly what they want you to do & is the very reason they do what they do.This is the same mentality behind the dispensary raids in Cal.To demoralize you.
FIGHT!
The price of freedom is sometimes high but it must be paid.
Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

One drawback to decrim is there are a lot of cops unwilling to send people to jail for possession, who have no problem writing a $100 ticket. As well as those who think it a sniggling offense, but an offense nonetheless, it's a major pain to process all those prisoners, coordinate transportation, etc. Writing 100 or more tickets is just busy work.

Yeah, I was there with my son and we had a blast! He was shocked to see the freedom displayed and I was happy to be there again after 20 years of fredom. i wanted my son to know and learn that this is something that should be respected and not treated lightly. If we want to make changes we must stick together, and I wanted all of his "young friends" to recognize the significance of this rally,and why we are doing it.

We did meet someone who go a ticket by a park ranger, and he said he was going to frame it. He was also told that he didn't have to pay the ticket.

It was still a peaceful event and I hope that we are making strides to having medicinal mary jane legislation soon!!
:peace::bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom