Buying advice for new grow setup

shandu

Been stalking the forums for a while, and always been hesitant to start my own grow until now. I've been reading through countless journals and threads regarding gear and growing techniques. I just ordered a batch of seeds yesterday (ak48, northern lights, master kush) and want to get my supplies ordered soon. Being my first foray into this, I'm starting small but want to get quality goods with the potential to increase things as I learn more. So, all that being said, I have a shopping list here that I'd love to get some feedback on. I'm gonna start with a DWC setup this go around, though I would love to try a soil grow in the future. Here's my list, let me know what you think:

Gorilla Grow Tent Lite: 2x4x6
Advanced Diamond LED, possibly a solo XML 350 but leaning towards 2 XML 150's (4x4 coverage vs 2.5x5)
6" Hyper fan w/ iPower carbon filter and ducting
4 bucket DWC system (though I may just start with two plants and a scrog)
Either clay pellets or coco coir for medium (maybe a mix?)
Misc tools found on Amazon: ph tester, ph control mix, digital timer, hangers, humidity/temp monitor

Not sure on nutrients as everyone seems to have their own preference. I'm leaning towards the fox farms trio (big bloom/tiger bloom/grow big) though I'm open to suggestions. Through my research, it seems some of the best grows come from simple nutrient blends so anything else you guys use and would recommend?

I'll grab a few pest control items as those problems arise, but any preventative measures you guys take?

I'm still debating on whether or not my garage is warm enough for the setup. I left some water with a thermometer in there overnight and the temp read at 60 this morning. I know the lights will bring the temps up some, but probably not ideal for the colder months without having to resort to aquarium heaters. I have a closet in my office I may end up using but that becomes more problematic with ventilation.

Anyways, I know these threads always come up so thanks for taking a look and thanks in advance for your help. Super pumped to get started as this is something I've always wanted to get into :)

Trust me being cold in the grow room is not a problem many of us have but through in a humidifier which you would probably need in the cold as well. A lot of these are powered by turning water to steam which would increase your heat inside of the tent. Lots of air movement inside the tent and trying not to evacuate to much air just use a small fan and high up passive intake that will allow the air a chance to warm itself before getting on your plants. So with your light and a humidfer or two you can get your temps up easily and make it feel like a jungle inside there.

Been stalking the forums for a while, and always been hesitant to start my own grow until now. I've been reading through countless journals and threads regarding gear and growing techniques. I just ordered a batch of seeds yesterday (ak48, northern lights, master kush) and want to get my supplies ordered soon. Being my first foray into this, I'm starting small but want to get quality goods with the potential to increase things as I learn more. So, all that being said, I have a shopping list here that I'd love to get some feedback on. I'm gonna start with a DWC setup this go around, though I would love to try a soil grow in the future. Here's my list, let me know what you think:

Gorilla Grow Tent Lite: 2x4x6
Advanced Diamond LED, possibly a solo XML 350 but leaning towards 2 XML 150's (4x4 coverage vs 2.5x5)
6" Hyper fan w/ iPower carbon filter and ducting
4 bucket DWC system (though I may just start with two plants and a scrog)
Either clay pellets or coco coir for medium (maybe a mix?)
Misc tools found on Amazon: ph tester, ph control mix, digital timer, hangers, humidity/temp monitor

Not sure on nutrients as everyone seems to have their own preference. I'm leaning towards the fox farms trio (big bloom/tiger bloom/grow big) though I'm open to suggestions. Through my research, it seems some of the best grows come from simple nutrient blends so anything else you guys use and would recommend?

I'll grab a few pest control items as those problems arise, but any preventative measures you guys take?

I'm still debating on whether or not my garage is warm enough for the setup. I left some water with a thermometer in there overnight and the temp read at 60 this morning. I know the lights will bring the temps up some, but probably not ideal for the colder months without having to resort to aquarium heaters. I have a closet in my office I may end up using but that becomes more problematic with ventilation.

Anyways, I know these threads always come up so thanks for taking a look and thanks in advance for your help. Super pumped to get started as this is something I've always wanted to get into :)

first let me welcome you as i am new to this and had the same questions you have now. i had the same thoughts you do now buy the best or top of the line. i was looking at the gorilla tent and was going to buy one but they are to high for my space so i got a secret jardin 4x4x6 very nice for the money. i got the hyper fan as well i think its one of the best with the built in speed controller and it uses very low watts, good choice on that. for the light that very hard i couldnt make mind up so i just bought solis tek 1000 watt ballast with the new double ended bulbs. and im getting a mars2 1600. check them out mars hydro top led. every one says good things about them. as for your temp situation im sure some one here more knowledgeable than me can help you.

Awesome, thanks for the welcome and the tips guys! I've got everything ordered, ended up going with a Advanced XML 350 because I figure at some point I'll end up with a slightly bigger grow space and this packs more LED's than the combination of the other two. Will this light suffice for taking sprouts to seedlings or should I look into a basic CFL setup? I only ask because it seems most use CFL or T5, but this light has a pretty wide color gamut so I assume it would work.

DWC system arrived though the pump is pretty small to push air through 4 5gal buckets, so ordered a larger one (60w 70lpm) and 4 air discs. It has 8 outlets so I'll experiment a bit to see if the 4 air discs are enough, or if I want to use the additional lines to drop a smaller air stone in the mix of each. Was initially thinking of doing 2 plants, but I may do 4 just in case I screw something up. I'll have the 3 strains I ordered, plus some extras they tossed in so might as well try one of each, right?

I think I'm gonna try to stay in the garage for this first attempt. The temps haven't been too low lately and I'm sure it's easier to find ways to warm up the space vs cooling it. Does anyone keep their buckets elevated off the ground to help control temps? I might build something to add a few inches of air to keep them off the cold concrete floor if I can't manage the water temp otherwise.

Now begins the waiting game for my seeds/supplies to arrive. Can't wait to get started and will be sure to get a journal going on this first grow. The community here seems really helpful so I'm stoked to know I'll have some help along the way ;)

Happy weekend y'all!

Back
Top Bottom