California Doctor-Lawyer Couple Get Five Years For Growing and Selling Marijuana

Herb Fellow

MAR 20 - United States Attorney McGregor W. Scott and Drug Enforcement Administration Assistant Special Agent in Charge Gordon Taylor, announced that Dr. MARION P. FRY, 50, a medical doctor, and DALE C. SCHAFER, 52, a lawyer, husband and wife, of Cool, California, were each sentenced on March 19, 2008, by United States District Judge Frank C. Damrell, Jr. to 60 months in federal prison. On August 16, 2007, a federal jury found the defendants guilty of conspiracy to sell marijuana, to grow over 100 marijuana plants, and to sell over 100 marijuana plants.

This case was the product of long-term investigations by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office.

According to Assistant United States Attorney Anne Pings, who prosecuted the case, Judge Damrell, in sentencing the defendant, stated that he took "no pleasure in imposing sentence," remarking on the congressionally mandated five-year sentence. The court observed that with their "passion for the drug ... their judgment got clouded" and their "self-aggrandizement took over." The evidence presented at trial showed that from 1999 until the end of 2001, when the DEA served a judicially authorized search warrant at their residential property, the defendants sold dried marijuana and marijuana plants from their office in Cool to persons acquiring recommendations from Dr. FRY for use of marijuana, for a fee. These recommendations enabled the holder to avoid arrest under California's "medicinal" marijuana law, Proposition 215. The proposition provides a legal defense to state (not federal) criminal charges when marijuana is possessed for treatment of a serious medical condition.

Evidence introduced at trial, however, showed that FRY sold these recommendation statements to people for diagnoses such as asthma, alcoholism, and sore elbow. On cross-examination, SCHAFER admitted that by 2001, the couple had made approximately $750,000 to $1,000,000 selling these recommendation statements to over 5,000 customers who had visited their office in Cool. It was to these customers the defendants sold dried marijuana in plastic bags and as marijuana plants. Some of the customers testified at trial the hand-to-hand sales took place in the fire station parking lot near their office. Other customers signed up at the office for home delivery of dried marijuana or plants. The couple also employed a delivery man who drove to customers' homes and delivered bags of marijuana and marijuana plants.

"The federal ban on growing and selling marijuana is without equivocation. The defendants were fully aware of this federal prohibition, yet proceeded to openly sell marijuana from their business in El Dorado County. Today's sentencing–mandated by Congress–is the consequence of their decision to flagrantly violate federal law" stated United States Attorney McGregor Scott.

The DEA investigation began in 2001 when eight parcels of marijuana the defendants were shipping to customers were intercepted. It was revealed at trial that payment for marijuana deliveries would be made by check, payable to the "Law Office of Dale C. Schafer" which were deposited into the law office bank account. At trial, several witnesses testified that after buying a recommendation paper from FRY at the defendants' office in Cool, or other locations where the defendants held "workshops" or "clinics," they then purchased marijuana directly from the defendants, their delivery man, or SCHAFER's adult son. One witness testified that after buying a recommendation paper, SCHAFER's adult daughter, who posed as a "paralegal" at the office, telephoned her and informed her that they were selling marijuana and asked if she wanted to place an order. SCHAFER's adult son later delivered the marijuana to the witness's home. The son told the witness to make the check payable to his father's law office so that if there were any questions later, they could claim the check was for legal services.

During the trial, the prosecution played an audiotape of FRY offering to sell four plants and indoor growing lights to an undercover officer for $400. In the tape she is also heard encouraging the undercover officer to buy marijuana plants and lights from her instead of going to another supplier, saying that the other establishment was "staked out by narcs." The government's evidence also included a recording made by an undercover officer who called the defendants' office and was told that he could buy small marijuana plants for $5 a piece. When they executed the search warrant at the defendants' house, the DEA agents seized over 30 plants and large quantities of dried and harvested marijuana. They also located an underground bunker outfitted with lights and fans to grow marijuana, a multi-car garage converted into an indoor hydroponic growing facility, a customized indoor drying room, and plants growing in a greenhouse and an outdoor garden area. The trial exhibits included photos of SCHAFER and the couple's minor children harvesting marijuana plants from this garden area and "trimming" marijuana bud inside the residence.

The court released the defendants on bail pending their anticipated appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. As a condition of her release, the court prohibited Dr. FRY from directly or indirectly recommending "medicinal" marijuana.

Source: DEA
Copyright: 2008, DEA
Website: News from DEA, Domestic Field Divisions, San Franciso News Releases, 03/20/08

Ok, so the doc and her hubby got greedy and got a little lose with what they were doing but, 5 years is not fair, that is what hardened crimanals get, hard time for hard crime! Who did they hurt? I have seem people get less time for stealing a car, for robbing a store, for stealing an old ladys purse. Look I am not a judje and GOD knows that I try to stay in the neurtal but crap man, this is not justice, we are way to smart for shit like this so why do we allow it to happen.
I am gonna start a list to clollect signatures?. Who can help me?

A perfect example of what happens when growing 100 plants. Thats what gets the feds invovlved and you want to avoid that at any cost. That said of course the DEA is still violating the constitution of the US. But who can afford to take they kinds of cases all the way to the federal supreme court?

For once I have to agree (in part) with the prosecution. This doctor crossed the line from compassionate caregiver to greedy "pill-pedalling quack" (so to speak) and she may have dealt a blow to the legalization movement by doing so. She was obviously profiting greatly from this and I would not be AT ALL surprised to learn that absolutely anyone could get the MJ just by paying the money. She obviously knew what she was doing was wrong or she would not have made sales in a parking lot nor would she have had people make checks payable to her husband's law practice. It seems unlikely that she paid state sales tax on the sales - something that I believe dispensary owners do?

It may have started out as trying to help but it sure didn't end up that way. Just another way that greed is hurting the movement.

OOps, yea from what I read, I kinda hafta agree,, seems over the line under current law. Exactly why it needs to be totally legal for adult citizens IMO

Ok, so the doc and her hubby got greedy and got a little lose with what they were doing...
Loose maybe, but not greedy.
What Doc Fry did was get LOUD.
She's the doc that advertized on radio (Sacramento). Her specialty was topical ointments for pain. She was not greedy, but she was loud.

If Christine Craft gets back on the air after caring for her (Chirstine's) dad, there will be plenty of noise about this.

Back
Top Bottom