Can I get your advice please?

kruizin

Hello All!

I have finally gotten tired of my bloombox type cabinet and have decided to try out something that will allow me to grow some girls without the height restrictions I've come to hate! :Rasta:

I was thinking about something very close to this system by SH, with the Pro II reservoir and two Deep Water Culture units. Here is a link to what I'm thinking of doing.... SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Deep Water Culture Pro Expandable Kit.

I was also thinking about something along these lines as well.... SH Hydroponics, Inc. > The Three Bucketeers.

I believe I can DIY either one of these systems without too much trouble, I just don't know which would serve my purposes and current lighting best. I just need enough medicine for my wife and I. But, I also want decent yields and healthy plants! :cool:

For lighting I've got a 400 watt MH and a 400 watt HPS. Would this amount of light serve me well or do you suggest upgrading to something with a little more juice? My room is in the basement and I do not believe I'll have any heat issues as it is vented well.

Thanks to you for your time and expertise! :thumb:

go with individual buckets, yes its a little more pain to ph each one and so on but it allows you to grow different strains with different harvest times. your lighting will be plenty, youll be surprised how much a little 400 can pull off, and if you run both during bloom then yeah youll have a NICE yield.

here is a DIY step by step Tutorial Guide for tanks and 5 gallon buckets, lots of pics .

go with individual buckets, yes its a little more pain to ph each one and so on but it allows you to grow different strains with different harvest times. your lighting will be plenty, youll be surprised how much a little 400 can pull off, and if you run both during bloom then yeah youll have a NICE yield.
Thanks for your response Trunk5!

It is my understanding that I'll be able to adjust the ph from the reservoir with either of these systems, although I could also be full of crap perhaps? Also, if I get the buckets or the two Deep Water Culture units I should still be able to grow separate strains in each one? My main reason for asking about the buckets was the idea of getting bigger/taller plants if my logic is right.

I am glad to know that my current lighting will suffice!

Thanks again! :bravo:

here is a DIY step by step Tutorial Guide for tanks and 5 gallon buckets, lots of pics .
Thanks for the link Roseman, I was hoping you'd weigh in on this! :grinjoint:

Roseman, do you think the reservoir for either system is worth the added expense? Would you go with the tanks or the buckets given a choice?

Thanks! ;)

IF you DIY to save $, and have the space, the Buckets are the way I would go. You can always use less buckets or add more buckets and the buckets would give you more options, in my humble opinion. 5 gallon Buckets and lids can be found for FREE at restaurants or for $3.50 to $4.50 each.

go with the buckets, youll get way more control over each individual plant, being able to tie them down top them and make them bush out to fill the canopy. taller plants aernt always better, and with the 400 watters they dont penetrate as deep so keeping them 2 &1/2 to 3 feet tall and bushy is the way to go.

go with the buckets, youll get way more control over each individual plant, being able to tie them down top them and make them bush out to fill the canopy. taller plants aernt always better, and with the 400 watters they dont penetrate as deep so keeping them 2 &1/2 to 3 feet tall and bushy is the way to go.
Very good points you bring up Trunk5 and it makes sense to keep them shorter and bushier especially with the 400 watt lights I have.

I have a question....can you top clones the same way you do seedlings and get the same results?

Thanks Trunk5! :)

Yes, growing from clones....

Yes you can top a clone, just wait until the roots are established and new growth has started. I also highly recommend the 5 gallon bucket setups. I only grow one plant per bucket and they love the space. You could easily do 2-3 clones per bucket, since they don't get as big as plants from seed.

Welp things are starting to come together somewhat at least....

I sold the bloombox and with it went the 400 watt HPS and MH setup I had. With part of the money, I was more than thrilled to visit my local hydro shop and picked up the following:

Lumatek 1000 digital ballast
SunSpot 6 reflector with lens
1000 watt Hortilux HPS

Then I went to Home Depot and got the following:

4 - 6 line manifolds
4 - 130gph pond pump
4 - 5 gallon buckets with lids
Plastic piping and flexible hose

Then I went to Wally World and picked up:

2 Dual air pumps (may get 2 more)
50' of flexible air line
8 5" airstones (I'm thinking of getting 4 more)
4 T type couplers

It sucks that I'm on the 3rd week of dealing with a total knee replacement, still can't bear weight on it, but at least I'm getting around.

I need to slide my butt downstairs and get some clones rolling as I'm super stoked about getting this grow going at this point! :cool:

I'm thinking about 1 clone per bucket, with 4 plants total. Considering my current lighting now, should I consider two clones per bucket or possibly running the light at less than 1000 watts? Or, just more plants period? I'd really like to get at least 2 oz. off of each plant minimum....am I in the ballpark here? And, what size net pots would be about right for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks All! :)

Kruizin,

I am glad to see you are at least moving around on your knee. I had both of mine replaced last year and I am way too young to have had them done. But, one year almost to the date I am running on the treadmill, skiing, cycling, and everything I never could do before!!! You will heal wonderfully by doing your therapy.

Hey, are you growing in tents or a room?? I am asking because of space size for that 1000w light you have. Also depends on height and what strain..

1. I would do one clone per bucket. That 1000w will be plenty of light for four girls. Way plenty. If you are in a tent (which I hope is 4x4 or bigger for 1000w) and you are wanting that yield (2oz per plant) then grow those 4 plants as big as they will get. I can run my 600w light 3 inches above my girls with 6"duct work connected to it blowing air from a 12,000 BTU a/c unit through it and they never burn That is in a 39x39x72 tent. Think of this like a sporting event....game management....Offense or Defense....;-).

2. I use 3.75 inch net pots in my buckets. One plant in a 2" rockwool cube, surrounded by Hydroton. However, I buy 4" toilet or shower flanges and slide my netpots inside them, and put those in the lid of my bucket for support. I hate using large netpots. I want my roots out of them and in the air and nutes ASAP.

I just tried to edit this post so I could upload the pictures of the flanges I am speaking about. However, I am ham having an issue with my IE application. Message me and I can send you the pictures so you know what to buy. They are cheap and when you are done with bloom, cut the roots and reuse them. Keeps a clean bucket lid as well!!

Hope this helps!!!

Hook 'em!!!!

Welp things are starting to come together somewhat at least....

I sold the bloombox and with it went the 400 watt HPS and MH setup I had. With part of the money, I was more than thrilled to visit my local hydro shop and picked up the following:

Lumatek 1000 digital ballast
SunSpot 6 reflector with lens
1000 watt Hortilux HPS

Then I went to Home Depot and got the following:

4 - 6 line manifolds
4 - 130gph pond pump
4 - 5 gallon buckets with lids
Plastic piping and flexible hose

Then I went to Wally World and picked up:

2 Dual air pumps (may get 2 more)
50' of flexible air line
8 5" airstones (I'm thinking of getting 4 more)
4 T type couplers

It sucks that I'm on the 3rd week of dealing with a total knee replacement, still can't bear weight on it, but at least I'm getting around.

I need to slide my butt downstairs and get some clones rolling as I'm super stoked about getting this grow going at this point! :cool:

I'm thinking about 1 clone per bucket, with 4 plants total. Considering my current lighting now, should I consider two clones per bucket or possibly running the light at less than 1000 watts? Or, just more plants period? I'd really like to get at least 2 oz. off of each plant minimum....am I in the ballpark here? And, what size net pots would be about right for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks All! :)

WOW! Someone kicked it into over drive. One clone per bucket would be fine but you could probably get away with 2 or 3. I would go with the larger net pots though and rely get those girls bushy with allot of tops. Here is a link for the net pots.
Hope this helps.
SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Net Pots, 5 inch

Kruizin,

I am glad to see you are at least moving around on your knee. I had both of mine replaced last year and I am way too young to have had them done. But, one year almost to the date I am running on the treadmill, skiing, cycling, and everything I never could do before!!! You will heal wonderfully by doing your therapy.
I had my surgery on June 1st and since then have had 2 Dr's appointments. He say's I'm doing really well as far as range of motion and such, but that he still doesn't want me bearing weight on it yet as he had to do some ligament work that he wasn't expecting. So, no work for the time being and very little as far as mobility goes, which sucks. I'm getting really bored!

Hey, are you growing in tents or a room?? I am asking because of space size for that 1000w light you have. Also depends on height and what strain..

1. I would do one clone per bucket. That 1000w will be plenty of light for four girls. Way plenty. If you are in a tent (which I hope is 4x4 or bigger for 1000w) and you are wanting that yield (2oz per plant) then grow those 4 plants as big as they will get. I can run my 600w light 3 inches above my girls with 6"duct work connected to it blowing air from a 12,000 BTU a/c unit through it and they never burn That is in a 39x39x72 tent. Think of this like a sporting event....game management....Offense or Defense....;-).
My grow room is an old coal storage area in my basement that has since been upgraded, cleaned out, and converted to serving my needs. The space in there is roughly 10' x 5' and probably 8' tall. Currently I only have a 4" exhaust fan and passive intake. The exhaust fan is vented directly up the chimney. Even though is stays nice and cool in the basement all year long, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to add a 6" exhaust fan for dealing with the heat of the light.

2. I use 3.75 inch net pots in my buckets. One plant in a 2" rockwool cube, surrounded by Hydroton. However, I buy 4" toilet or shower flanges and slide my netpots inside them, and put those in the lid of my bucket for support. I hate using large netpots. I want my roots out of them and in the air and nutes ASAP.
Your use of the toilet or shower flanges sounds interesting. I'll bet it does give you much better support. Good idea!

I just tried to edit this post so I could upload the pictures of the flanges I am speaking about. However, I am ham having an issue with my IE application. Message me and I can send you the pictures so you know what to buy. They are cheap and when you are done with bloom, cut the roots and reuse them. Keeps a clean bucket lid as well!!
PM sent and thanks!

Back
Top Bottom