Cannabis at the Capitol?

A Republican leader isn't laughing about a flier promoting the "Cannabis at the Capitol" rally scheduled for Friday.

Although the first-ever noontime rally for "cannabis-policy reforms" has raised some eyebrows and prompted some chuckles, assistant Minority Floor Leader Tom McGillvray was not amused by the fliers, which include a picture of the Capitol building superimposed over a marijuana leaf.

"Not funny," said McGillvray, holding the flier Thursday. "It's an outrage."

McGillvray, a Billings Republican and social conservative, said the rally undercuts parents' and law enforcement's efforts to curb illegal drug use.

The flier is in part tongue-in-cheek. It advertises "free brownies" at "high noon," a reference to the practice of baking marijuana into the chocolate treats.

"Every parent in this state cares about this," he said. "If this were cigarettes, how far do you think this would go?"

The rally's sponsor - medical-marijuana advocacy group Patients & Families United - is using the rally to highlight the issues surrounding what has been a hot topic this session, medical marijuana.

In 2004, Montana voters overwhelmingly approved allowing marijuana to be used for certain medical purposes. Both Republicans and Democrats this session have been introducing legislation to set parameters on medical marijuana in the state.

The rotunda rally promises to be a head turner. Tom Daubert, founder of Patients & Families United, said it will include "completely legal marijuana plants," and a speech from a former police officer who wants to see marijuana legalized.

McGillvray said medical-marijuana advocates should express their views during hearings.

Furthermore, the flier isn't funny, he said.

"I get the puns," he said. "The way the flier is put together, it's making a mockery of every parent's desire to help their child be drug-free. ... We have an (anti) meth march with 2,000 kids here, now we have marijuana? Give me a break."

Daubert said McGillvray should not "judge a book by its cover. And he shouldn't judge an event by its poster."

Cannabis at the Capitol will run all day in the rotunda.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Bozeman Daily Chronicle
Author: DANIEL PERSON
Copyright: 2009 Bozeman Daily Chronicle

McGillvray wasn't laughing, but I sure did. Then I was dismayed at his apparent comparison of one nasty poison made from Drano with sweet and natural Cannabis. THAT is an outrage.

"Not funny," said McGillvray, holding the flier Thursday. "It's an outrage."

Yeah, that pesky first amendment that provides for the right of peacable assembly and free speech sure can be outrageous :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yeah, that pesky first amendment that provides for the right of peacable assembly and free speech sure can be outrageous :cheesygrinsmiley:

Soniq420 you hit it right on the nose. Sounds like McGillvray wants to go back to lying about drugs for the children's sake. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't kids between 5-18 be in school on a friday afternoon??? So what do kids have to do with a flyer? Don't lie to them. I believe children learn the word hypocrisy around 12-14 years old.

I have a question- since when has any parent wanted his or her child to be drug free? Parents are told all the time which types of drugs to give their children from doctors, nurses,psychologists & other therapists,grandparents, teachers and mainstream media. What kind of hot air is he blowing out his backside with his "Drug free" children? Oh, I'm sorry He was talking about the drugs he wants to give them (legal but dangerous) and to keep them away from a drug that is illegal and much less harmful. Children's pain killers and cold medicines have killed more children than cannabis ever could. Yes , we all know there are dangerous drugs out there that are illegal but Cannabis should not be classed with them. I am not going to give my child the hard stuff just as I am not going to give them tobacco and alcohol. Does this guy think we parents are morons?

As a side note my child is home schooled so there could be a possibility of some children being there on a Friday afternoon if the parents thought is was important to the child's education.

I have a question- since when has any parent wanted his or her child to be drug free?

legal drugs = good, illegal drugs = bad.

Mcgillvray wants kids to be illegal drug free. I still do not know what that has to do with a first amendment public demonstration. Not to mention their highly effect flier which got everyone talking.

“If this were cigarettes, how far do you think this would go?”
......... Cigarettes should be illegal, not weed. You can't even compare the two, because one has been altered with numerous chemicals to preserve it... Not to mention that if a non-smoker were to inject or consume the amount of nicotiene found in "One" pack of cigarettes, he/she would die! Now can you say that about weed? Can you say that weed has embalming fluid in it, along with cyanide, and arsine? Can weed create a million dollar life time addiction that has produced numerous quitting agency's? Cigarettes has cost this country and the world as a whole, billions of dollars when it comes to health care, death, illness, and addiction, cigarettes is up there with cr*ck and cafiene... So, if this flyer was about cigarettes, no one would be supporting it. sorry but that comment was ignorant as shi7.

America will never be drug free. The major drug pushers actually target kids the younger the better. They prescribe some really heavy drugs for many children. I personally would rather give my kids some weed its better for them than even beer. The only problem I do not have that choice. The reason the major drug pushers pay our lawmakers millions every year to insure it stays that way..

Back
Top Bottom