Cannabis Tax May Not Bring Millions To Oakland

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The proposed increase in the cannabis tax rate that was approved by an Oakland City Council committee on Tuesday may not bring in millions to the city, as was previously assumed.

The increase would put the tax rate for cannabis at $12 or $24 per $1,000 in gross receipts -- 10 to 20 times more than it is today. Using 2007 numbers from the four licensed cannabis dispensaries in the city, the city council estimated that the tax would bring in an additional $200,000 to $400,000 in revenue to the city annually.

However, Councilwoman Nancy Nadel said in an interview on March 30 that the dispensaries were estimating that 2008 revenue was much larger, and she said that the tax rate increase could bring in “a couple million” to the city. But the dispensaries may have been overly optimistic. Xiaojing Wang, policy analyst in Nadel's office, said that the increase in 2008 was not that significant.

In 2007, the dispensaries’ gross receipts were $17,917,560. In 2008, the receipts were $21,177,482 -- which would mean about $250,000 to $500,000 in additional revenue.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean that the revenue prospects won’t increase. Councilwoman Nadel said that since U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the federal government would not be prosecuting legal medical marijuana dispensaries, applications for cannabis ID cards have increased, meaning demand for medical marijuana could be going up as well.

The proposal will go in front of the entire Oakland City Council later this month, but since it requires the creation of a new tax classification, it also has to be approved by the voters.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: San Francisco Buiness Journal
Author: Vasanth Sridharan
Copyright: 2009 American City Business Journals, Inc.
Website: Cannabis tax may not bring in millions to Oakland - San Francisco Business Times:

It is a bad idea to promote legalizing pot by suggesting that it could be taxed.Almost all of us pay too much in taxes now,I cough up,pun intended,nearly 60% of what I make to some tax or another already.It should just be legal.and no I do not want the government regulating yet another aspect of my life.I could go on and on and on,for now I will just say Thank you.:peace:

It does seem wrong to tax medicine.

Do they tax other meds? If not, it would seem to me that they are treating MMJ as non-medicinal and in affect are discriminating against "well" people by only allowing the "non-well" to enjoy a non-medicinal product.

If on the other hand other meds ARE taxed, then I guess it would be the same as taxing them - still wrong in my book but not nearly as much so.

Back
Top Bottom