Carbon filter reviving?

Hebrewdiver

I have two 6 " inline carbon filters that I've had since 2018. i seem to be getting loud odor from 4x4 tent after putting into 12/12, so I hooked the filters one on each side of the fan. I had used one filter sparingly when first purchased and the other very little if at all. They seem to be doing nothing at all. I have washed the prefilters also. I've read that you can wash the filters by dunking in very hot soapy water and then in hot clean water then letting them dry, I will be trying that. I was wondering can you disassemble the canister by taking one end off empty out the old charcoal and replace with fresh activated charcoal? What methods have worked for you?

I've read that you can wash the filters by dunking in very hot soapy water and then in hot clean water then letting them dry, I will be trying that. I was wondering can you disassemble the canister by taking one end off empty out the old charcoal and replace with fresh activated charcoal?
Yes, most of the filters I have looked at can be taken apart. Some have small sheet metal screws holding them together and some have rivets. If you have rivets they can be drilled out and replaced with small screws. You should be able to use new rivets if you already have the rivet gun or tool kit. But it would be cheaper to just get the screws.

What methods have worked for you?
I have not tried cleaning one yet but have a used on in storage and getting ready to do something since the current one in the tent is reaching the end of its normal lifespan.

I have kept a link to this thread linked below and it gives some info on the cleaning process. Ask around where to get activated charcoal so you have it on hand before cleaning. Also use the search function. There is a way to use two or three word search terms but the instructions are on another web page on this site. One of these days I will find that instruction page again and keep the link:).

Anyway this link should give you an idea of what it involved. Oh, it is not something you want to do in the house or garage or any enclosed room/building.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/how-long-does-a-carbon-filter-last.464904/

If you do go with cleaning the charcoal let us know how it went even if you do not get to it for a month or two. Just add on to this thread would probably be easiest. I would be curious to see what you had to do and how it went and what you thought about doing it.

Enjoy the day.

Activated carbon is created by lengthy exposure in a blast furnace where the inner matrix of the carbon are opened. The inner surface area is what allows active carbon to capture and bind aromatic scents from the air. It is impractical to reactivate carbon. If I were to refill my carbon filter I would require a vibration bed to densely compact the carbon to an effective filter depth and capacity.

Back
Top Bottom