Cfl grow, can you light entirely from sides?

Redlan

Just wondering if I would be able to grow with my cfl lighhts entirely on the sides? Height is a big issue for me and I can't go over 3 feet. My pot is already a foot and a half tall. Am super cropping outwards for height ..... Just wondering if I HAVE to have light above it? Or it can come from the sides only? Id appreciate any and all advice my friends, I'm here for the long hall. :)

Any advice would be beneficial ;)

Plants are typically lighted from above in nature so I would think that 100% sidelighting would at best confuse the plants. If that is your only option then I would make sure that the ceiling is reflective to give them at least some reflected light from above. You also might want to move your sidelighting a little higher than normal to help the canopy get some good light.

Thanks, will do. I have seen people using topsy turveys with great success..... And those are nothing but side lit basically.... I think it should work, just may not be the prettiest. Right now she is bonzaied pretty well, interested to see what it will look like in flowering

Just wondering if I would be able to grow with my cfl lighhts entirely on the sides? Height is a big issue for me and I can't go over 3 feet. My pot is already a foot and a half tall. Am super cropping outwards for height ..... Just wondering if I HAVE to have light above it? Or it can come from the sides only? Id appreciate any and all advice my friends, I'm here for the long hall. :)
i've been growing with cfl 300watts duel spec for about 4yrs in not the 300 at first but always cfl and i used to always just used a small cupboard.. i found the best way was to pin them down on there sides (lst) in other words always worked great for me or maybe try a srog grow i've herd they work well but never tried myself hope this helps a bit

This may only work for a potted grow (hydro would have air tubes ect.But has anyone tried a rotating planter ?You couldn't tie down your branches to the cabinet.Perhaps have string holes in the planter to reach the branches.I have an old dial micro wave I'm cutting the bottom out to turn into a rotating stand.They aren't cheap(when you can find them)Maybe they work?!? It seems that one could put the light closer too,since no single part of the plant would be bakeing /burning too close to the light but always turning.Seems like one could give the entire plant more(and more even)light by concemtrating the lights on one side.Maybe one off centered and slanted towards the top (noon)one even with it(morning) one below pointing up(evening?)It's going to take me several weeks since I'm revamping my grow area.
Who knows maybe rotating planters are like divorces,maybe they cost so much because they're worth it. :)

Hahaha. The people on this sight are hilarious

having light on the sides is call a wall or vertical grow both use a net to train the plants. but I have also seen it done in rows with no hoods just hanging lights.

I see.... So investing in some stuff to keep it from going up would be good.... Good to know! Thank you!

I see.... So investing in some stuff to keep it from going up would be good.... Good to know! Thank you!

Something I came across at True Value Hardware Store.They have an 65 watt CFL that is suppose to give 500 watts equivelant of 6500K(blue)light spectrum.These are the larger cfl's,not the small ones for reg lamps.The hydro store sells 300 watt equivelant for $30.00.I've seen 175 and 200 watt equivelant for $20.00.
This is an outdoor yard light that says it will light a 40 foot X 40 foot area.It's an complete set up,(though without a plug.So far the only drawback is the housing is black plastic.Perhaps it's a heat resistant plastic or they expect the outside temp.to keep it cool.
How they got 500 watt equivelant from a 65 watt I don't know.One bulb and housing for the price of a 300 watt equivelant.The bulbs worth that.I'll get more info.on it if anyone interested.It maybe what Redlan needs for side lighting.One bulb in a housing instead of several bare bulbs,and hopefully less heat.Which may become a issue if your growing height is only 3 feet.

Hmmm interesting, I'd like to see that sometime. Sounds pretty bright!

Hmmm interesting, I'd like to see that sometime. Sounds pretty bright!
Redlan
I went to True Value this morning and got the info.You can google FluoreX Technologies.The model # 9266 the replacement bulbs @ True Value cost around $15-16.00 So you may want to check out the housing first(it's plastic and light weight).You may want to just get the bulb.Opps just realized I didn't check the size of the base of the bulb.It may not fit a standard light socket(could be larger,sorry)I'll check that next time.

Hope this helps

Something I came across at True Value Hardware Store.They have an 65 watt CFL that is suppose to give 500 watts equivelant of 6500K(blue)light spectrum.These are the larger cfl's,not the small ones for reg lamps.The hydro store sells 300 watt equivelant for $30.00.I've seen 175 and 200 watt equivelant for $20.00.
This is an outdoor yard light that says it will light a 40 foot X 40 foot area.It's an complete set up,(though without a plug.So far the only drawback is the housing is black plastic.Perhaps it's a heat resistant plastic or they expect the outside temp.to keep it cool.
How they got 500 watt equivelant from a 65 watt I don't know.One bulb and housing for the price of a 300 watt equivelant.The bulbs worth that.I'll get more info.on it if anyone interested.It maybe what Redlan needs for side lighting.One bulb in a housing instead of several bare bulbs,and hopefully less heat.Which may become a issue if your growing height is only 3 feet.

tell me more i wonder if i can get them in the uk.. i just blew my 125 watt cfl that i use to start my autos of... now in a bit of a shit state as i now have 4 autos with no home lol:yikes::confused:

Very nice, sounds similar just more badass than a 65 Wat cfl I'm using right now, it is marketed as a flood light tho. ;) I think I may pick that up

Ok just got back from true value.It does require a larger socket than reg.bulbs.FluoreX does have a 65w(200w replacement)That says it can replace halogen bulb.It is possible that these would too.So if you don't have a fixture for these larger size then you have to buy fixture (bulb included)or buy the bulb separate.
Fixture(with bulb)$29.99 before taxes.with our taxes it came to $32.49.The bulb alone is $15.99 color temp.6500K CRI 80 lumens 4550

Other bulbs at True Value

General Electric 55w(200w equivelant)2700k(flowering)3860 lumens $13.99 can be used in reg.light socket.

WestPointe 65W(200w equivelant)3900 lumens 6500K for $18.49

FluoreX 65W (175w equivelant) It didn't state what the color spectrum or lumens but did say it will replace halogen bulbs.this takes a larger socket. $21.99 before tax.

.We have several street lights where I live and work.An old motel turned into Kitchenettes plus 23 r.v.trailers.These lights have ballist .

So you may be able to use these 500w if you have a large socket halogen set-up.

Redlan Bassett1976 ,you can get them on amazon.com make sure it's model #9266.They have several fixtures that look the same but are n't 500w
will try and take photo's as soon as I can (yes I just bought one)Very light weight.With a up/down swivel attached to plastic 1/2 inch pipe type,with threads, that screws into an electrical box you would attach to the (wall electical box not included.)Add a three prong cord and plug and figure out how to hang it.I'm guessing the platic housing wouldn't heat up like a metal one.still will be couple of weeks before grow room is revamped but may try it out in the empty bedroom on my tomatoes.will let you know if housing melts :)OPPS just unpacked everything and there is a mounting attachment that has two (angled)holes to screw the swivel pipe to.Each hole is at a 45 dgrees angle.Plastic,you could do better with a pipe flange.A 3 inch metal circle with four hose for mounting and a center threaded half inch hole you could mount light on(or add more pipe length to it.)

photos of 500w cfl ya

Copy_of_IMAG0005.JPG

IMAG000720.JPG

Mc ruderalis I just posted pics of what I have going on right now in the umm... Grow journal section. I did exactly as you said wth the flood light I already have and it works great! (used computer power cord since I have a thousand lol) 500 watts from 65 is nuts lol

Back
Top Bottom