Chosing a mother plant from seed

joan

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone can tell me just what it is that i should be looking out for when trying to determin a successful future mother plant from seed!! also can anyone please tell me if feminized seeds are more likely to turn out as hermaphrodites compared to regular seeds!!! thanks for all your help guys!!! :eek:)

Hello Joan,

There are a few things i look for when choosing a mother plant. First off i look for "vigor", fast growing with strong stalk and branches. You can tell some plants are "healthier" than others and these are the ones you wanna clone. Another important factor I look for when choosing a mother is the hieght as well. I like to keep the more indica plants cuz they are shorter than thier sativa counterparts. I grow indoors so this is very important when choosing my mother. Every grower has diffferent needs because all grow rooms are different.

As for female seeds having more hermie tendencies, I don't think so. This is from experience. I have grown out 100 seeds and have only had 2 hermie on me and one was a "regular" seed. So for me this does not ring true. But do your diligence to confirm or dispute this.

CGs

You will want to clone all your plants before flower and let them grow slowly until you have harvested and determined which one YOU want to be the mother. You don't want to pick out a male based on growth patterns only, you want to base your decision on finished product.....

hey there mr caregivers, how u doing today!!! thanks for replying to my message, u have some useful tips for me to look out for!! what about if a seedling has grown its roots faster and has more roots in abundants than all the rest through rockwall cubes then would that be something to look out for, the fact that its grown more roots in abundants faster than the rest!!! i've only grown a couple of times with feminized seeds and i have experienced hermies every time but if i'm honest i did have some serious heat problems at the time and im not shore whether that has something to do with it or not and i have never grown with regular seeds!!! thanks for all the help :eek:)

Well. I will tell you how I selected my mother plant from 20 Killing Field Fems. When I first potted she and her sisters I was surprised to see that one plant out did them all. When her sisters were 3 inches tall she was 6.5 inches. She also smelled strongly of fresh brewed coffee... Far different and far stronger than her sisters. I planted her sisters outdoors and they grew fairly well but this girl I kept and planted in various pots. She now stands 9.5 feet and is growing in a 50 gallon storage tote outside... She smells strongly of coffee and honey. You can smell her from about 20 feet away. Early on I made two clones of her and they are aggressive plants just like their mother. I have them growing to produce clones for an indoor grow. I plan to keep her for a very long time. I also have a TNR motherplant that is not really massive due to pot size but she is aggressive and strong growing not to mention very stable. She will be raised for some outdoor clones next year.

You don't want to pick out a male based on growth patterns only, you want to base your decision on finished product.....

I'm guessin male was a typo for mother. :)
But yeah, I pick my moms the same way. I pop about 10-20 seeds of a promising strain, veg, then take a few cuttings of all of em right before flippin to 12/12, then flower em all. By the time they're done flowering, I know which clone or clones I will save as mothers. Then I flower the clones that didn't make the cut (or donate em to a friend). I'm actually in this process now with some heavy duty fruity x cheese and some snow white. :thumb:

I'm guessin male was a typo for mother. :)

No, I mean't male....some people have actually selected a male by just basing their decision on growth patterns, read the beginning of the post. You need to see the finished product to decide what is best....sometimes it is the small spindly plant that kicks your ass!

I'm with OG13 on this. In the end it is all about the quality. I don't care if she has the potential to be 10 feet tall with forearm sized cola's.... :hmmmm: OK yes I do! But you get what we are saying, right?

Just try em' out first then decide. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom