Christie Says No To Legal Pot, But Maybe To Medical Marijuana Change For Children

The General

Gov. Chris Christie said Wednesday he still opposes any measure to legalize recreational pot in New Jersey – but is open to considering more changes to the state's medical marijuana program to help children with a rare form of epilepsy. Last month, state Sen. Nicholas Scutari (D-Union) introduced legislation that would make the sale and possession of recreational marijuana legal in New Jersey, in an effort to stem the illegal drug market and provide new tax revenue to the state. But during a town hall meeting in Fairfield on Wednesday, Christie – a possible candidate for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination – re-iterated his long-standing opposition to legalizing the drug. "I'm not going to do that on my watch," he told a crowd of about 500 people – including dozens of students – at the Winston Churchill Elementary School. "I'm just not. I don't think it's the right thing to do for our state."

A survey released Wednesday shows New Jereyans are divided over the issue. The Monmouth University/Asbury Park Press poll revealed nearly 60 percent of adults in the state say alcohol and tobacco pose a greater hazard than marijuana. But the poll also showed about 48 percent favor making it lawful to buy a small amount of marijuana, while 47 percent are opposed. Pot is legal in only two states: Colorado and Washington. New Jersey is one of 20 states to legalize medical marijuana, but many critics have said the program is too restrictive. At Wednesday's town hall, Paula Joana of Hopatcong told Christie her 15-month-old daughter, Sabina Rose, died in December of a seizure caused by Dravet syndrome, a rare form of epilepsy. Joana said her daughter might have survived if a certain strain of medical marijuana were available in edible form in New Jersey.

chris2.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Nj.com
Author: Brent Johnson
Website: Christie says no to legal pot, but maybe to medical marijuana change for children | NJ.com

Back
Top Bottom