City May Regulate Medical Pot Grows

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
CHICO -- Rebecca Hernandez is a mother of four, a Marine Corps wife and has spent time serving as a PTA member at her children's schools.

She also grows medical marijuana.

At just 30 years old, Hernandez's medical history is extensive, with the Chico resident suffering from lupus and fibromyalgia.

She is undergoing chemotherapy for cancerous tumors that were removed from her uterus and can no longer bear children.

Pain is a part of Hernandez's daily life and something that is assuaged by the medical marijuana she legally grows in her backyard within the Chico city limits.

"It allows me to physically move," Hernandez said. "It's lets me change my child's diapers. It lets me cook for my kids."

But with the Chico City Council exploring the option of regulating medical marijuana grows, Hernandez is just one Chico resident who may have to rethink how she treats her ailments.

At Tuesday night's meeting, the council began considering a potential ordinance to address the reported nuisance of marijuana grows within the city limits.

After receiving several complaints from local residents regarding the smell associated with marijuana during harvest time, the council directed City Attorney Lori Barker to research potential regulations the city could impose on medical marijuana grows.

Barker's report included the suggestion that should the council draft an ordinance, the law requires marijuana cultivation to occur indoors. Barker also advised the ordinance place restrictions on the number of plants grown as well as ensure the plants grown on a specific piece of property are only for the use of the property resident. Several meeting attendees expressed support for the proposal, with Barbara O'Brien telling the council her neighborhood is infiltrated by a "horrific odor" the 30 days during the fall harvest.

"It really has become an extremely difficult month for me to live through," O'Brien said, adding that she suffers from asthma due to the marijuana smell.

Christine Johnson, whose neighbors also grow medical marijuana, said she too is affected by the pungent pot plants.

"It is far beyond a nuisance ... it's sickening. It's making us ill," Johnson said.

The value of one person's illness over another person's is something the City Council deliberated over, with Mayor Ann Schwab saying the right to grow medical marijuana and the right to a positive quality of life is a delicate balance.

"At what point do individual rights infringe on other people's individual rights," Schwab asked.

With the council meeting running past midnight, the council voted 6-1 to refer the matter to the city's internal affairs committee, in order to gain more information before their decision on the potential ordinance.

As part of the research, Councilor Andy Holcombe suggested the city look into the possibility of a community medical marijuana grow. "Let's provide an alternative," Holcombe said, adding that a community garden would "minimize the need" for individual growing and essentially squash the debate over outside grows.

But Hernandez, who said she would rather medicate herself with marijuana than the Vicodin, Oxycotin and Percocet that her doctors prescribe, said it is her right to grow the medicine she needs in her own backyard and a necessity for many like her.

Hernandez said the costs associated with growing pot indoors is quite significant, noting that private insurance does not cover medical marijuana costs and many medical marijuana users are on a fixed income.

Hernandez said the electricity alone to run a grow light inside a home could cost her hundreds of dollars, aside from the equipment she would need to foster the growth of the medicinal plants.

And though Hernandez said most people tend to stereotype medical marijuana users, she said at the end of the day, she just wants the option to ease her pain and help her live her life as a mom and wife.

"I'm not a pot head," Hernandez said. "You're talking to a mom. I'm intelligent. I'm a business woman. And I got a disease that I was not expecting."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Chico Enterprise-Record (CA)
Copyright: 2009 Chico Enterprise-Record

I under stand both parties gripe 30 days out of the year. I would be pisses off to having to smell all of that pot without being offer any to smoke. Why do smokers stand at or around the front door smoking. We have to walk through the smoke to get inside of what ever, so what do you? one thing about the lady with all the pain that she has all the time not just 30 days out of the year.

Back
Top Bottom