Clay

diggler35007

i dug a five gallon hole. two inches down i hit solid clay. the hole will be filled with a custom mix of soil. will the clay affect the roots when they try to grow into it or will it just become root bound? i know i could have found a better location, it was a last minute type deal.:thanks:

High Diggler35007,

I have a type of hard pan clay in my back yard. It's a real plant killer.

I've planted well, transplanted, plenty of non-cannabis type plants, trees and ground cover in this stuff. If the initial hole isn't dug large enough, like, say you have a root bound Azalea in a 3 gallon container, then dig a three gallon size hole, just big enough for the plant to fit, the plant's roots just spiral around and can't break through the dry clay. I had a mahogany tree die this way, it didn't die right away, but by the time winter came around, the roots never had a chance.

I now try to imagine the hard pan as a planter, then dig a hole as big as I would want the new planter to be. Then fill the remaining space with top notch soil. That way I give my plant's roots a fighting chance well before they have to break through the clay, they will eventually, I like to let them get well established first.

Take a look around the area. Are there existing plants in this type of soil? What types of plants? Are they healthy looking? Remember even the biggest trees started out a a tiny seedling.

diggler35007,

I forgot to mention the pH of clay soil is low. The clay is real acidic. Also, clay takes a long time to adjust the pH with lime and whatever. respect and happy gardening.

Back
Top Bottom