Clones vs Seeds-Changing Times

Medifreddie

While I havent been a member long at the 420 Mag site, Ive been a member on other sites and my growing experiences date back to still owning a copy of Ed Rosenthal's first book, Marijuana Growers Guide, first printing 1974. My how things have changed. 'Ol Ed is still around, bless his heart and I dont think even he could imagine how a simple weed could evolve into the industry it is these days.

That being said, I find it interesting how clones now play are very large part in the grow world while seeds, the only real grow method in the old days, has become "old school" and primarily only still practiced by those who are not in clone available areas.

In my neck of the woods, Humboldt County, Northern California, clones are the norm for starting your garden/grow. A thriving clone market exists with some growers who once grew the weed now specialize in just clones. At anywhere from $7.00 to $25.00 per clone and being able to ready a tray of a hundred or more on an average of every 3 weeks, being a clone vendor can be very profitable. Seeds, on the other hand, are fairly hard to come by and often times the seeds you do find are from a grower who accidently let his crop get pollinated. Go figure. There is a theory that floats around this area that many folks prefer clones because they never learned to grow from seed.

Myself, I believe starting with clones has distinct advantages. Over the long run, starting with clones will save electricity costs associated with seed germination, seedling growth etc. decrease mortality rates(in the plants) and you have no sexing issues to worry about. As a novice grower, you will find a 3 to 6 inch clone much more forgiving in regards to mistakes whereas a seedling can become a deadling in the blink of an eye. Also, if you subscribe to the long accepted formula that any given seed has a 50% chance of being a female & 50% chance of being a male, you are essentially losing half of your grow space, plus wasted time & energy spent on plants that will be of little use. In short growing season regions, clones are almost mandatory.

On the other hand, seeds can be a risky endeavor at best. To begin with you need fresh seeds. The seeds you have been saving that you found on the ground at Woodstock arent gonna get it. We here in the land of the free, home of the brave cannot legally purchase seeds. You can get it done, but it's a dicey proposition. Most transactions have to take place over the internet and it involves another country. We know the country exists but is the site legitimate? Is the site safe? If so, are the seeds you receive actually what you ordered? Will you complain very loudly if you do not receive your purchase? And of course, there is a distinct possibilty if the Flying Dutchman does happen to goof on your order, it will be a while before you discover you are growing something other than what you actually ordered. When seeds sprout, they dont exactly sprout an authenticity tag that indicates what strain it is and let's face it, most of us cant tell a White Widow seedling from a Hindu Kush seedling. The availability of femenized seeds is cool but for me that's a little too much progress for my taste.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not anti-seed. I prefer the seeds in an outdoor garden due to the fact plants started from seed tend to grow taller/larger with greater yields. Clones normally dont grow as large as the seed/mother plant which I might add also makes them poplular because the smaller plants are harder to detect. When marijuana was first legalized in terms of medicinal use here in California, everybody and their brother started growing and everybody and their brother began getting their grows ripped off. To combat the pot thieves, folks began growing smaller,less noticeable plants. Clones were ideal for these stealth gardens. But alas, I am also a seed fan simply because it's a connection to the old days. I'm sentimental that way and there is something about taking a seed, watching a plant be born and being part of it's journey. Now that's old school.

In these changing times, marijuana growing has changed along with most everything else. Better strains, faster production times and a billion dollar industry that has become woven tightly into the commercial portion of our society's fabric. The medicinal benefits alone have spawned amazing strides and will no doubt eventually lead to the marijuana plant being emancipated and finally recognized as a asset and not the current mythical threat as portrayed by the powers that think they be.

I suppose it doesnt really matter which you prefer, clones or seeds as long as we understand the symbol for which the plant stands. Freedom of choice and just how far we have come....MF

Nice! I've always grown from seed for mainly 2 purposes. Firstly my grow area is sterile clean and don't want to bring someone elses possible problem plants into my grow, even pre-treated. Secondly, prefer being remote from the elements to deal with when aquiring clones. I hated even going to the same dealer to get my weed before growing. Seeds, can stay home and receive a huge variety of strains. Seeds, love the process of germination and sexing. It's fun, involves some skill, and feels like i'm creating something from almost nothing. Seeds, variety from plant to plant within the same strain. Love variety! I've had great luck finding the good vendors and getting the correct genetics and viable seeds over the years.
However, was about to get some mr nice SSH the other day and saw $182 base price and decided that's it for seeds. They hit my threshold. I live in norcal and have a card and can get clones and will now do so. SSH is my favorite, but how high can they go?

Hey Luv- Appears you & I think along the same lines. Being from the same area our concerns and strategies are very similar.

I have never had a problem finding clones but they always come from someone I know. This does limit variety because it's a good/safe practice to stay within your circle of contacts and as you mentioned, you can still run a risk of introducing bugs/disease into your grow environment.

Over this summer, I decided to expand my choices of variety in terms of personal medicinal use and visited several of the dispensaries in Sacramento in search of different clone strains. I had always avoided the dispensary route for 2 main reasons. I prefer growing my own (primarily avoiding the absorbent costs & maintaining privacy) and as you also indicated, there was always the mistrust factor.

Without getting too political, when Obama became Pres and relaxed the DEA drug raid policies in regard to dispensaries, there was a noticeable increase in new dispensaries/co-ops and clones have now quickly became a popular shelf item. When you combine that with the fact that recently, Oakland passed their landmark Marijuana Tax Bill, suddenly, purchasing clone strains from these businesses seemed like a fairly safe and viable option.

Anyway, my tour of the Sacramento dispensaries (4) turned out to be quite a surreal experience. To be able to walk into an arm-guarded facility and purchase "medicine" either in a bottle or clone form was, somewhat creepy? Strange people coming and going and the folks behind the counter in white smocks trying to give the appearance of being pharmacists at the local neighborhood drug store. Somehow, I just couldnt help but think, for the most part, 'Who are we trying to fool here. Me or the man?". LOL

It did work out for me as I was able to find a few Trainwreck & White Widow clones which I wasnt able to locate within my "comfort zone" but the quality of both were what I would consider below average. The wholesale purchasing of clones to the dispensaries is still in the infancy stage and because of the still gray legal areas, I suspect most (clones) are being suppled to the dispensaries by the owners brother, cousin or the cousins best friend who grows in his spare bedroom. I can say this because all of the clones I purchased came in crappy little dixie cups. C"mon, the least they could do is repot into a regulation 6" nursery container. LOL Not too much thought going into the clone marketing aspects as of yet. And as you mentioned, price regulation is all over the board. I purchased 2 Trainwreck clones for $15.00 each, came back the next day for 2 more and they were now $25.00. Same clones, a day later. At that point, the white smock coats were beginning to piss me off.

The purchased Trainwreck & White Widow clones are doing well and I'm already cloning off the two which was the plan. I'm not sure I will return to the dispensaries simply because their selections of strains is collectively limited and the price thing is getting to be a rip-off. Safe or not.

I like your seed approach. Very well thought out and I admire your independence. I have loaded my PayPal shopping cart more than once with various seed strains I would love to grow but as always, I just cant seem to hit the "Pay Now" button. The price factor doesnt bother me as much as I always wonder if somebody legitimate is really on the other end to process my order and if so, am I going to get a knock on my door from Officer Friendly. I reckon some old habits and concerns die hard...

Stay in touch. Being from the same area and of the same mind, we could be of help to each other......:peace: peace n good luck MF

*Footnote: I dont want readers to get the wrong impression of my views. The dispensaries are a vital step to the ultimate goal of decriminalizing marijuana and finally recognizing and respecting our individual choices and freedoms, not too mention the needs of those of us who truly need the medicinal benefits/aspects. But the reality is, capitalism and personal commercial gain is playing and will continue to play a large part in the marijuana movement. We learned it from the major drug companies. It is unavoidable. I'm sure Kenneth Laye, (CEO-Enron) started out with good intentions also...MF

Back
Top Bottom