Cloning using a bubbler question

med420

Hi everyone,

I am a noob to BOTH 420 growing and this forum. Anyway, I was on EBAY looking at a bubble cloner for about $40 with shipping and I notice that there is no "dome" for it. Here are my questions:

1) Is there a need for a dome cover? I noticed that some cloners have them, others do not.

2) Is it just a matter of cutting a "Y" section off of the mother plant in the right area, sticking it in root hormone, and inserting into the cloner (assuming I follow directions)?

3) Can I use two florescent bulbs (one blue-ish white, one warm white) long bulbs (I think they are around 4 foot long)?.

4) How high should I hang lights above the clones?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Cloning using a bubbler question...

Hey med420, welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions:

1. No dome is needed since the stem have access to water at all times. The bubble created from air stones will keep them hydrated from the bursting of the bubbles or have them in the water.

2. Yes, make cuts above a node (Y section) that way you get 2 more branches to grow out which will give you more clones 2 weeks later. You are correct, stick in rooting hormone and place in the bubbler. Let the solution sit for 15 mins before turning on the air stones. The time allowed the solution to soak into the stem to start the rooting process.

3. Using two different color temp bulbs is fine, prefer just the blue one best for veg. Keep the cycle at 18/6.

4. 4-8 inches. Test the heat by placing your hand under the bulb with your palm facing down. If it feels hot move the light up a bit.

With How many clones are you wanting to process? For $40 you can make an aero cloner which have 99.9% success rate with 10-15 clone sites. All you need is a water pump ($20), some PVC, a 5gal bucket or 5-10 gal tote, some neroporene, and you're good to go (assuming you already have some handy power tools). It is so easy to make. If you can make scramble eggs you can make an aero cloner. IMO it works better.

Good luck!

Twelve12,

Very informative and enough details. I've seen those types of cloners on a video. I think I'll try it.

Another cool thing, I already have two blue-ish or "cool white" bulbs. You just saved me a trip to the store and a few bucks.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom