COB DIY Journal

Now I'm confused again as you mention red lights earlier. So is it 8 of the above only and no red?
I use 8 Cree cxb 3590 3500k run with 2 mean well hlg 185 1400b with a dimmer. This covers my 1m2 tent very well. I am about to add 3, 3w far red 730nm LEDs to tell my plants to sleep when lights go out. Look up Growmau5 on YouTube.

That is general lighting. Far red and deep red as before. I found a few diodes was not adequate. I run 15 3w far red in 4sf which is why I recommend the 20w cob more power and spread

What do you think about the UV diodes? I read that too much UV can burn the plants easily

I think I'm going to run the far red on a seperate timer to try mimic a sunrise and sunset.

when it comes to red and far-red light as far as signals (not photosynthesis), it's not the amount as much as the ratio of red to far-red that's important to the plant! For the purposes of the plant and its response to light spectrum, red light is ~660nm and far-red light is ~730nm on the light color spectrum

In bright sunlight, a cannabis plant tends to grow short and squat. This is because direct sunlight usually has more red than far-red and the plant reacts to this ratio. So if a plant is getting more 660nm than 730nm light, the stems tend to stay short and the plant grows a lot of nodes with shorter stems.

On the flip side, if a plant is getting a more 730nm light than 660nm, it tends to grow tall and stretchy. This is because, in the wild, when a plant is surrounded by a lot of vegetation, the surrounding leaves absorb a lot of the red light, and so whatever light does filter down to the hidden plant or stem has a much higher ratio of far-red light.

In response to higher levels of far-red light, stems will start to elongate and grow taller, as the plant is "stretching" up towards the light until it gets a ratio with more red and "senses" it's in direct sunlight again.

If a plant is surrounded by greenery, it starts sensing higher ratios of far-red light, and starts "stretching" upwards to grow past the other vegetation and get access to better quality light

PAR actually considers only the spectral range of solar radiation from 400 to 700nm, which is the spectra of light that plants can use for photosynthesis

Source - How Does Color Spectrum Affect Growing Marijuana Plants? | Grow Weed Easy

As an example I run 30w of Far red every evening for 30 minutes in 4sf. Every morning I run Deep red for 1 hr at 30w as well. I mimic sunrise /sunset that way. I do not dim my cobs I let them come on at preset. I have the sunrise/sunset scheduled in my GrowGreen LED Controller, as well as my fixtures. I also use the full spectrum cob to enhance the cree 3500k cobs and I am seeing fantastic results. Plants finish quicker, mature further, I recently have gotten a few feminized seeds from my last two runs from the bottom of the plant indicating to me maturity beyond my schedule. I use 10w deep red and Far red both run at 8 Vf and 1000mA. I use LDDH drivers for these

As an example I run 30w of Far red every evening for 30 minutes in 4sf. Every morning I run Deep red for 1 hr at 30w as well. I mimic sunrise /sunset that way. I do not dim my cobs I let them come on at preset. I have the sunrise/sunset scheduled in my GrowGreen LED Controller, as well as my fixtures. I also use the full spectrum cob to enhance the cree 3500k cobs and I am seeing fantastic results. Plants finish quicker, mature further, I recently have gotten a few feminized seeds from my last two runs from the bottom of the plant indicating to me maturity beyond my schedule. I use 10w deep red and Far red both run at 8 Vf and 1000mA. I use LDDH drivers for these

That sounds neat, I'm basically just waiting to see how these Chinese cobs grow compared too the citi, vero, cree cobs.
I've got some really neat idea's I just need to find a banker to back me up haha.
The more I learn about LED's and electrical engineering the more I want to keep learning!

That sounds neat, I'm basically just waiting to see how these Chinese cobs grow compared too the citi, vero, cree cobs.
I've got some really neat idea's I just need to find a banker to back me up haha.
The more I learn about LED's and electrical engineering the more I want to keep learning!
I am using full spectrum cobs in all phases of grow from cloning to blooming everything is working better and plants are even happier. It is not about me it is about the plants❤

1661221228110.png

I am in process of attaching heatsinks into frame and am questioning where to place the driver?? It's for a 2x4 tent...I have the frame at 42" wide...is there a certain distance the driver should be away from heat sinks??

I am in process of attaching heatsinks into frame and am questioning where to place the driver?? It's for a 2x4 tent...I have the frame at 42" wide...is there a certain distance the driver should be away from heat sinks??

Just heat no other problems just choices. Placing drivers near fans for active cooling is always good.

Ok first attempt building , wiring in series the 3 cobs and when I plug it in nothing nada! Not sure what I did wrong?
420-magazine-mobile496487007.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1923693603.jpg

420-magazine-mobile567081432.jpg

420-magazine-mobile557677554.jpg

Hey mate when you wire in series you are dividing the voltage so that driver won't put out enough Volts to fire more then one of those cobs.
As you said that driver is recommended to run multiple 36-50v chips so the only way that will happen is if you wire it parallel.

Hey mate when you wire in series you are dividing the voltage so that driver won't put out enough Volts to fire more then one of those cobs.
As you said that driver is recommended to run multiple 36-50v chips so the only way that will happen is if you wire it parallel.
I think you need to wire in parallel with a 48v driver. That means positive to positive negative to negative from one to three and all three should light up then

Back
Top Bottom