Colorado Springs Wants To Know City Council's Stance On Recreational Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

The way Andreas Nilsson sees it, Colorado Springs voters favored Amendment 64 and sent a message that they wanted recreational marijuana sales in the city.

He feels that the Colorado Springs City Council has thumbed its nose at the voters by banning the sales of marijuana for recreational use.

"I want to know where the candidates stand on upholding the wishes of voters regarding recreational marijuana sales," he said.

Nilsson was among 20 citizens who joined the Gazette's editors and reporters in January for reader forums to talk about the issues important to them in the April 7 municipal election.

Colorado voters approved Amendment 64 in November 2013; in Colorado Springs voters approved the law by 4,947 votes. The state law allows adults 21 and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana and grow six marijuana plants on their property.

The law says that cities can regulate the sale of marijuana for recreational use like it does alcohol sales. But Amendment 64 also says that cities can opt out of recreational sales.

In July 2013, the City Council voted 5-4 to opt out, or ban the sale of recreational marijuana. Since then, the City Council twice considered whether it would ask voters if they wanted the city to allow recreational marijuana sales but there was not enough support on the council to get a question on the ballot.

With the possibility of electing five new City Council members in April, Nilsson wants to know from the at-large and District 2 candidates: Would you vote to allow the city to regulate recreational marijuana sales like it does alcohol?

Here are the responses from the at-large candidates:

Yolanda Avila, 59, a retired criminal defense investigator, said she would vote to regulate marijuana sales. "Responsible adults need to be able to choose their recreation, legally," she said. "There is a black market that is not regulated and, I think, is far more dangerous and is what impacts youth. The state saw $700 million in revenue and we didn't get any of the tax revenue and it doesn't make sense to not get the tax revenue."

Merv Bennett, 66, a retired executive from Pikes Peak YMCA and the only incumbent running, said he has not changed his position. He voted no in 2013 to ban sales. He said that if residents want to vote on the issue they need to circulate a petition and get the question on the ballot.

"It is not in the best interest of the city," he said. "If they want that on the ballot, I'll respect that, and they can petition that on to the ballot."

Bennett said approval of Amendment 64 does not automatically mean residents want recreational pot sales. It means voters gave their cities the right to choose, he said.

"We chose not to," he said.

Vanessa Bowie, 36, a recent UCCS graduate with a master's degree in public administration, said that with proper zoning recreational marijuana sales could be a boon for the city.

"Marijuana sales can provide a tremendous tax benefit and increase job growth. The rest of the state has benefited tremendously. It's time for Colorado Springs to benefit. Alcohol is legal and the regulations are absolutely necessary - you wouldn't put a liquor store right next to an elementary school."

Jesse Brown Jr., 72, a pastor at Christ Temple Community Church and Wal-Mart employee, said he would vote to regulate marijuana sales.

"It decriminalizes," he said. "People here voted to decriminalize cannabis and I was one those and we should have the benefit of using the tax income that could result from legal and highly regulated recreational cannabis businesses. The people voted, so how can council decide not to?"

Glenn Carlson, 31, corporate supply manager at Arrow Electronics and small business owner, said Colorado Springs had a great opportunity to study Denver and Pueblo, where recreational marijuana sales are allowed, and consider the pros and cons. However, when Manitou Springs voted to allow sales, it skewed what is happening in Colorado Springs, he said.

"We would be ignorant to think people of Colorado Springs are not going to Manitou Springs and coming back into Colorado Springs. At this point, I would follow the voters' wishes and legalize it with the caveat that we need to study it and put it under a microscope and be willing to change anything we don't like quickly."

Longinos Gonzalez Jr., 45, teacher and retired Air Force officer, said he worked for more than 10 years in counter drug intelligence and would not support recreation marijuana sales.

"They want to talk about revenue - understanding that data shows that health and social costs associated with alcohol is 15 times the amount of revenue brought in. Even if the social cost of recreational marijuana is one to one, it refutes the entire argument as having it for tax revenue - you would spend it all on health and other issues."

Nicholas Lee, 34, university instructor and business owner, said the City Council cannot be sure if Colorado Springs residents favored recreational marijuana sales because they approved Amendment 64. The law, he said, does allow cities to opt out.

"I support putting it on the municipal ballot and letting the city voters decide once and for all," he said.

Al Loma, 55, pastor at Victory Outreach church, said Amendment 64 gives cities the power to ban recreational sales.

"I have run a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program for 30 years," he said. "In 30 years, 100 percent began their abuse with marijuana. The evidence is suggesting now, that marijuana smoking is just as bad as cigarette smoke. The marijuana of today is not the marijuana of the 60s and70s - it's much closer to LSD of the 60s and 70s with hallucinogenic effects. I would have to support those who do not want it regulated for recreational use."

Bill Murray, 65, a retired Army officer, said the law does gives cities the option to ban sales.

"I believe in the democratic process and in an informed electorate. I want an action plan. I'm tired of people being soft and fuzzy about the conversation. Let's have a special election and put this puppy to bed."

Tom Strand, 66, a former military lawyer and Colorado Springs School District 11 school board president, said he is undecided about whether he would vote to regulate marijuana sales. He said he respects the voters who approved Amendment 64.

"My biggest worry is not the adults. It is younger people. The numbers have gone up for teens in possession of marijuana. And that scares me."

He said that if he does lean toward voting to allow marijuana sales for recreational use he would want to ensure that regulations are in place to protect children.

Vickie Tonkins, 51, a University of Phoenix instructor and co-founder of the Destiny Project athletic program for children, said she wants citizens to vote on the issue.

"Once that piece is decided, then we say, what are the safety issues? I do not believe we should regulate it to death. With any business, regulations are so ridiculous and it makes it difficult to function. If this is approved, I want to make sure it is safe for the consumer, at same time, I don't want to regulate it so much that a small business cannot operate in the city."

Jariah Walker, 37, owner of Walker Asset Management Realty, said he believes the City Council's decision to ban sales is a good opportunity to see what happens in other cities, like Denver and Pueblo.

"The edible portion of the marijuana sales is what bothers me. I have a 7-year-old and a 5-year-old and I look at gummy bears and suckers, and that is where I'm interested to see the regulations - that is the part I'm watching the most. Kids are something I have in front of my mind before I make decision. We have done the right thing in holding back - watching Denver to see the mistakes, see how that affected their city, pros and cons, see how much tax dollars come in, see how much money goes to schools and see what are the increases in social costs."

Joe Woyte, 40, a defense subcontracts representative at Honeywell, said he does not interpret the affirmative vote on Amendment 64 in Colorado Springs as a mandate to allow sales in the city. But neither does he see opting out as the mandate. The opt out by the City Council is not fair, he said.

"I would like to see that as a ballot measure in 2015. I want to see it answered. I would have preferred that the City Council go to the people with the question of 'what do you want?'"

Here are the responses from the District 2 candidates:

Larry Bagley, 71, a retired military officer, said if voters in Colorado Springs want recreational marijuana sales he would support regulating the sales at the same level as medical marijuana is regulated.

"Right now I am opposed to recreational sales in Colorado Springs," he said. "The reason I am is there are a lot of unanswered questions regarding the impact of recreational use. We don't have a good standard for operating under the influence, for example. What are the responsibilities of the user when kid gets into it and dogs get it?"

Kanda Calef, 39, who was a co-founder of the Business Chamber of Southern Colorado, said it does not matter what her feelings are about recreational marijuana sales.

"As member of City Council, I will be the voice of the residents. In my district, 2/3 voted against Amendment 64. As their representative, I must honor the wishes of those in the district and vote against retail sales of marijuana for recreational use."

12796.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Colorado Springs Election 2015: Readers wants to know stance on recreational marijuana sales
Author: Monica Mendoza
Photo Credit: Elaine Thompson
Website: Colorado Springs Gazette, News | Local News, Latest News, Breaking News | Headlines, Sports, Weather & School Closings

My wifeand I recently took a trip to Colorado springs as a vacation but also to legally purchase mj for our ailments. Granted I should have been more diligent in my research. Although CS was absolutely gorgeous even with all the snow we were disappointed there were no rec mj shops. Our trip took us back through pueblo co where we were happy to find a rec shop or two. We both purchased our quarter oz to the tune of $500.00. I'm not complaining because we purchased edibles and some wonderful drinks. The taxes in my opinion will allow the street dealers to continue to flourish. Being from floriduh I feel lucky to get my oz for 250.00. I'm curious if colorado residents feel the mmj and rec mj cost is worth all the effort put into the legalization. I noted next door the mmj shop clientele appeared to be of lower income imho. For God sake just legalize it in this country. We could not function without mj (ptsd and pains).

The closest Rec shop to CO springs right now is in Manitou (half hour away). Dry buds for high prices, no thank you. Hopefully in April they pass this so that everyone has access to rec shops here.

Until they do something about these high taxes though, it's kind of pointless IMO.

We went on vacation to the Grand Canyon but we just wanted to try some varieties etc to see if one was better for pain etc. curiosity I suppose.

Thanks Jacob, colorado is beautiful and I hope we can make it back when it's not snowing like crazy. We missed so much visually but I will definitely take you up.

Back
Top Bottom