Court: Tracking Devices OK in Oregon Marijuana Case

Weedpipe

420 Member
PORTLAND – A federal appeals court has ruled that mobile tracking devices can be attached to suspect vehicles as part of a marijuana investigation in Oregon.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court in the case of Juan Pineda-Moreno, who argued his constitutional rights were violated when U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents attached devices to his sport-utility vehicle.

The DEA agents used several of the devices to track the SUV after they learned Pineda-Moreno and his associates had purchased large amounts of fertilizer, groceries, irrigation equipment and deer repellent at several stores in the Medford area in 2007.

The court noted the agents attached the devices while the vehicle was parked in a driveway and in public areas, including a street and parking lot.

The court ruled Pineda-Moreno had no reasonable expectation of privacy at any of those sites.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: The Seattle Times
Copyright: 2010 The Seattle Times Company
Website:Local News | Court: Tracking devices OK in Oregon marijuana case

The DEA agents used several of the devices to track the SUV after they learned Pineda-Moreno and his associates had purchased large amounts of fertilizer, groceries, irrigation equipment and deer repellent at several stores in the Medford area in 2007.

What,, No signs stating "Illegal Grow" on them?? :roorrip:

What would happen if I put a tracking device on their vehicle ? They would arrest me. When is it against the law to buy large quantities of anything. Now I have to check my car daily for government sponsor tracking devices because I like like to buy large quantities of TP... When will the sanity end...
:slide:

Clearly a violation of the 4th Amendment. It requires a judge signed search warrant to do this. This is the kind of stuff that happens when you have judges making decisions based on there own agenda and not the constitution.

Back
Top Bottom