Cownie: Time To Take Politics Out Of Medical Cannabis Law

Robert Celt

If there is anything I have learned in my years of service in the Iowa House of Representatives it is this: Nothing is easy.

What one might believe to be a small, simple legislative initiative often takes years to push through the system, and many times said initiative will never actually become law. And that's just the small, simple issues.

The big issues? Very difficult. Why? Because change is hard.

Shroud it in politics and it becomes even more difficult. For big change to occur at the Iowa Statehouse we need solid education and solid advocacy. With regard to making our medical cannabis laws in Iowa smarter and more compassionate we will need both in spades – and we are going to absolutely have to take politics out of the equation.

Last week, I filed a bill in the House Commerce Committee, which I chair, that would allow the oil derived from a marijuana plant (cannabidiol) to be derived and used for an assortment of ailments that make many Iowans suffer. Currently, Iowa law states that cannabidiol may be possessed in Iowa, but cannot be manufactured. You can have it. You just cannot grow it.

And federal law mandates that cannabidiol cannot be taken over state lines. This ambiguous law needs to be remedied this session. I for one will not rest until smarter, cooler heads prevail, and suffering Iowans are provided every means possible to feel even a little bit better.

Below are the remarks I made publicly last week regarding this bill. Your thoughts are always greatly appreciated.

"Thank you. It is an honor to be here today. I will be brief with my comments. I believe we were all elected to help Iowans. I believe the bill we are discussing regarding cannabidiol will help Iowans who need it most. As the father of a healthy 3-year-old boy and a healthy 10-month-old boy, my heart goes out to the families of the sick who have tried anything and everything to help their children and loved ones, but to no avail. I believe it is time for the State of Iowa to act. As Chairman of the House Commerce Committee I will be assigning the bill tomorrow. And I will be fully supportive personally and look forward to working with my fellow legislators on both sides of the aisle in moving this important legislation forward. Thank you."

Stata Rep. Peter Cownie, R-West Des Moines, represents District 42. The district includes Cumming and portions of West Des Moines and northern Warren County. He can be reached at 281-3221 or peter.cownie@legis.iowa.gov.

Gavel_and_MMJ_leaf.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cownie: Time To Take Politics Out Of Medical Cannabis Law
Author: state Rep. Peter Cownie
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom