Curious about female pollen

Ganjagrowergu

As I understand it, if a stressed plant pops nanners the pollen would be feminized for the most part. However if she drops straight up male flowers, it is a true hermaphrodite and the pollen will produce a high percentage of herms.
Also upon doing research it seems that the old school way of feminizing seeds had to do with purposely stressing strong females until they produced pollen

I'm kind of just looking for insight, not necessarily a concrete answer, into my current situation with one of my plants.

She was planted in an old hospital sock, never up potted, got old runoff for her only food, never ph'd, rudely supercropped, over watered (attempted drowning), and dried out.

Yesterday I placed the sock, at my wife's behest, in a pot of coco and fed her fresh nutes with a proper pH. Today the 5 big fan leaves she had, came off because they were dying.
If this stress causes some nanners to appear, I would expect the pollen to be usable and nearly feminized, correct me if I am wrong please.

This isn't necessarily something I want for breeding stock, I would prefer male pollen, but just something to make seeds with whilst I learn my lesson about killing males before collecting/storing pollen.

Thanks in advance.
Peace

Your summary of how people breed/bred doesn't totally align with what I have read, so I will summarize what I remember.

There are two popular methods to breed plants. One is Rodelization, which is pollen created by letting a plant flower late into its cycle. This method has been stated to not be very reliable. Some of the pollen will be sterile, and not produce seeds.

The other way is a chemically (CS or ST) induce male flower containing pollen without a Y chromosome. Hence female pollen. Can only produce female seeds.

Other methods are possible, but not recommended. Stressing a plant to become hermie, will tell you what stress level it will take for the offspring to become hermie, at least to some degree. Sometimes the pollen is viable, other times it is not. This will depend on the plant and its specific genetics.

Male pollen is the only source I know of to have a male plant. Which is a crap shoot when raising regular seeds.

If I were to start breeding this minute, I would choose the Colloidal Silver method, and move up to the Silver Thiosulfate should the CS prove to be unreliable. This would give total feminized seeds, but I don't have to try and find a good male plant.

If I just wanted to mess around with the idea, I would either let a plant go to the late flower stage, throw nanners or stress it like the bugger.

This is all my opinion, based on what I've read and believe. I don't hold it to be gospel.

Mostly I just want to play around anyway. My wife wants her to survive, I wouldn't mind either way. Happy wife is happy life, that's the only reason I transplanted it at all.
My tent is full of much more healthy plants and I am in fact out of space. Lol, I was disappointed in myself for tossing all the boys (6 out of 7 beans) from my second wave. Planted two more hoping for a male and got two girls.

I have so many buds that dont get enough light to put on weight that its a crying shame that at least a few aren't pollinated. I've read probably a lot of the same things you have. Although I have been searching around trying to find answers about this herms vs nanners and genetics vs environment and I see people have many different views and experiences with the dreaded stress hermie pollen.
I guess if it happens if happens and my results will be documented. Hmmm, I think my wife's uncle has a jug of CS laying around.... Ahh, I'll just wait to see what the weed gods provide for me.

There will probably be no real info on the old ways done right. Secrets of making female seeds might have been shared but rarely do they tell you everything. Its those "key" things they don't share which make them work. Better ways now anyway.
Now days keeping or continuing hermie genetics in anyway is a risk not worth taking.

She is probably going to make it anyway.

I don't know if totally keeping the herm gene out of the pool is really possible or altogether desirable, as many landrace sativas are carriers of that trait...
That being said, the produced seeds would have only been for personal growing, not any sort of real breeding project. I don't have true landrace.

P.S. thinking back to the old ways of feminizing. I read something he wrote and I now recall him being carefully vague in some areas, while detailed in many others.. Hmmm...

Thank you

Yes you are right. No getting rid of hermie genetics. That is why I suggested staying away from it when possible.
Carefully vague puts it about right lol. While the internet has tons of info. There is just as much info left out in most case's

In case anyone was wondering, she did not freak out and pop nanners or drop balls... Actually she seems to be doing quite well. I am almost disappointed that nothing happened. Here is her little top bud, believe it or not, hard as a rock. She won't be giving me much yield, but I guess the genetics are solid.

Thanks for input
Peace

Back
Top Bottom