Decent growth but yellow tips!

Nasty Nate01

SOIL GROW

Strain - unk
# of Plants - 6
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 6" diameter
Lights - (3) 100 Watt CFL Full Spectrum (changing to 400 Watt HPS this wk)
Nutrients - General Hydronponics
Medium - Miracle Grow Potting Mix
PPM - unk
PH - 6.5
RH - unk
Room Temperature -70 to 80
Solution Temperature -62 to 69
Room Square Footage - 4' x 2'
Pests - thrips

Problem: I'm a newbie so I get the basics but this crap has me lost! I'm having a problem with the leaves. The plants themselves are still growing but the lower leaves and some a bit higher are getting yellow tips and then gradually turning yellow and dying off. I tried weening the plants on fox farm grow big (2-3 tsp p/gallon every other water) but they seem to burn so I've just been using well water out for a couple of days. I'm 5 wks into growth and they appear to be all female (thank god!) but I'm afraid they're not gonna last too long. I'm watering every 4-6 days depending on how dry they are....have veg light cycle of 18/6...haven't tried limestone yet.

IMG00004-20100603-2049.jpg
IMG00002-20100603-2048.jpg
IMG00003-20100603-2049.jpg
IMG00001-20100603-2048.jpg

Miracle Gro Potting Mix says it will feed plants up to - what - 6 weeks?? So additional fertilizer may literally be overkill. The burnt tips are a sign that they've had all they need and just a little more. If you keep feeding, you'll give them too much. This might be what you're seeing in the crispy dead leaves.

Also, are you really using General Hydroponics nutes? That's for plants grown in water - hydroponics.

I'd flush them - use enough water to run it through the soil and out the drain holes quite a bit. Then let them dry as usual and see how the new growth looks. The old dead dying growth won't come back. Have you tested the pH of your well water? Depending where you are it could be very high, plants in soil like about 6.5 to facilitate nutrient use.

You also probably need to transplant, the plants look a little big for the pots, and they may be root bound.

Nothing drastic, often less is more. But honestly, the new growth looks very healthy so the pure water may be doing the trick.

Thank you sooooo much! I'm actually just giving them water since i found out the miracle grow has fertilizer in it already but the way it's been going I didn't know if I needed to switch back or what. It was a late discovery but better than never. It says it last for 3 months so I figured a month from the last re-potting I'd have the ok to go ahead and use the liquid fertilizer but from the way they're growing I'll have to re-pot them this weekend. I am using a veggie/fruit friendly insecticide to protect the plants from the bugs that are popping up. So basically give em' filtered water till the 3 months or so is up or just keep giving them water since my medium is miracle grow? I've also tested the ph of the soil and it's reading a good 6.5. I have to do the water tomorrow though. I've changed from the well water to my humidifier water. I'd figure I'd experiment between that and filtered water since the dehumidifier water is coming straight from the surrounding air, no chems, just moisture. Cuts down water usage and doesn't get tainted with city chems.

I wouldn't fertilize on a schedule necessarily, just what the plants need when they need it, determined from how they look. Two plants from the same seeds side by side can have strong differences in their nutrient requirements. That one plant (those plants?) with the crispy leaves seem to be an example of this.

Also, consider if you pot-up into new miracle gro soil, you add more available nutrients.

Yeah...looking good, best wishes.

I'd reconsider that humidifier water. The condenser coils are usually covered with dust, mold, mildew, bacteria and all sorts of stuff. It can be really nasty. It can be really clean. Depends a lot on how old the machine is.

DD

Thanks for the help freak. DD I probably wont use that dehumidifier water again. It's used and I have no fricken idea how old it is. Brita water from now on! :thanks:Good looking man.

Back
Top Bottom