Deep Water Culture potential problems!! HELP

miller162

FIRST GROW I FEEL LOST, and some structure would comfort me!! i dont want to keep D*ckin around with my precious girls, so i was hoping for some Deep Water Culture support. I feel as if i have done my research on forums on this site as well as many other, but this seems to be the new home to Deep Water Culture..i just want success and you guys know all about that!!

thanks everyone

Strain - bag seed (unknown)
# of Plants - 5
Grow Type - Hydro/Deep Water Culture
Grow Stage - sprouting into vegging
Setup - Deep Water Culture
Light - 2 CFL, dual spec II, 85w
Nutrients - Stealth Hydronponics
Medium - Rockwool, surrounded hydroton
PPM - unknown
PH - 5.75-6
RH - ?!?!? dont know
Room Temperature - Give or take 80*F
Solution Temperature -unknown (so far)
Room Square Footage - 2x3= 6ft..
Pests - None Known yet

Problem: all sprouts LOOK healthy, one is alittle more mature than the other 4,,, it seems to be curling upward and gradually becoming a lighter shade of green, i cant tell if it is just growing or if they are stunted, i have changed the res 2 times in a week becuase some unpleasnt smell or look...i dont know if i should leave them be or change out the res again so no disease is cookin up..let me know guys and gals thanks!

Hey Man.

Don't despair. The only thing I don't see in your list above is what your Res temp is. If your room temp is 80, I'm betting that your water temp is also close?

According to all the reading I've been doing from Roseman on Bubblepoinics, you need to get your res temps down to a comfortable 68-70 degrees.

Let us know.

Thanks,
SF

Good advise StinkFinger.

Welcome to 420, Miller162. I hope you hang around.

What is the temp of the water? Are you feeding them yet? Will you be losting pics?

it is a great honor to be talking with you i might add!!

ok back to biz, i do not know the current res temp. Unfortunately i will have to make a trip over to my local aquarium store. I JUST broke my airstone?! it has a huge chunk missing out of it and im assuming its trash now,,, I will pick up a water therometer while there, i will also have to buy a new 12 inch air stone even though its not even a week old from SH....but yeah shite happens. i was thinkin about gettin a second air pump and stone to go with the new stone i have to purchase. And yes i want to put some pics up.. should i take a pic of every sprout or the general set up or ? you tell me you are the expert.

And how long would it be ok to use that broke air stone? or should i just take it out?

thanks everyone!!

Hey Man.

Since Roseman's here, I'm going to let him "drive".

Obviously you know you're in very good hands!

I'll be watching, and rooting for you (pun intended).

Have a great day guys!
SF

Hey thanks Stink!! everyone on this forum site is so much more responsive and friendly!

OK SO got some pics up... I took the pictures in order from signs of maturity.

1663539877606.png

THIS IS MY FAV SHE SEEMS TO BE THE BIGGEST

Photo0177.jpg

Photo0179.jpg

1663539913380-png.2582962

1663539930780.png

1663539940786.png

IF any other needed pics info input whatever i can do it!! I highly appreciate the effort put forth to help out a fellow!! thanks to you

1663539913380.png

I might also add i planted the germed seeds a week from this day.....how is it lookin so far guys..thanks

This should help man.

After you upload your pics to your gallery, just go back and edit your post using the insert picture link.

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

SF

thanks again STINk, yeah i had to play around with the codes, i just posted the wrong code :S lol. well they are up now. and fyi i appreciate ANY input, not just Roseman, Im hoping everyone who has Deep Water Culture exp can help me out all help is MUCH MUCH appreciated.! thanks!

Not a prob man.

You're seedlings look great. Perhaps starting to stretch a little.

How far are your CFL lights from the plants? (Hard to tell from your pic)

Also, Roseman asked, but I didn't see your response? Are you giving the seedlings any nutes yet? And if so, how much, what PPM?

SF

Not a prob man.

You're seedlings look great. Perhaps starting to stretch a little.

How far are your CFL lights from the plants? (Hard to tell from your pic)

Also, Roseman asked, but I didn't see your response? Are you giving the seedlings any nutes yet? And if so, how much, what PPM?

SF

thanks man, and usually my blue spec is like 3-6 inchs above the res (for taking the pics)...and yes the last time i flushed (day or two ago) i decided to throw in 1/4 micro and grow nutes from SH. even though it hasnt been two weeks i decided it was time simply cuz i saw the 2nd set of leaves comin in....and about the PPM...i still need to invest in a digital PH and PPM reader...little tight on cash lately but yeah i definately want to get those tools. As of now i have been using the ph strips. who knew 80 strips last 2 weeks basicly lol. but yeah idk im not doing this perfect cuz i have NO experience with growing but have been very intreged by it for years now.

Bro, you are on an adventerous trip now, for sure. Many will tell you to spend mroe money, but I did my first 3 or 4 grows with NO meters. Your pH test strips will do just fine and if you stick to the recommended feedings with those pre-measured nutes, you'll do great.

Your plants are ready for an additional 1/4 packet of micro and grow(also called VEG nutes) , making them on a half packet now.
Those 85 watt CFLs can and should be 3 inches near, and every few days shift the two bulbs around.
I hope you are following along with the Tutorial here:

and this will help you too:
Feeding in Deep Water Culture, Getting Started & PPM just the first page or two

and here:
Temps and Humidity In Deep Water Culture just a few pages there.

Let me know how I can help friend.
StinkFinger knows what he is talking about, many other 420 family members do too, and there are dozens of Deep Water Culture here willing to help you too.

Well for what it's worth....

Your stuff looks right on track. I don't see any real problems. You also sound like you know what needs to happen, PPM meter, replace air-stone, etc.

If I were you, and you'd like constant support and feedback, then I would start a grow journal, and head on over to:

Join the guys and they'll be with you on your journal.

By the way, I just dove into your question and didn't see you're new to (posting) on the site, so :welcome: to 420mag!

Best to you bud!
SF

Thanks again Rose and Stink!!

I have no regrets taking time to find a good forum site!!

you guys are awesome, i wish i knew how to join Deep Water Culture but im clueless on the website like you mentioned (new).

but yes Rose i spent hours on end reading your incredible tuts. You and the trade mark word Deep Water Culture go hand and hand!!

Who was to know when i ordered my SH kit that "Roseman" was a real person, let alone someone who i would ask my newb questions to!

Yes i will do what you said about the lights, and When i get my new airstone (and possibly an additional air pump and stone) i plan to flush the res of any nasty water and add 1/2 packet of the MIRCo and GrOw nutes!! (have 1/4 in now, and POST flush it will be clean water so ill add the 1/2 since you said they are ready for another dose). and i say nasty water because i ineviably keep getting light into my res somehow, i need to light proof it better, and i also find it difficult to regulate room temp and humidity and res temp when the lights are right there......even though like you said it is recommonded. idk i have 2 fans 1 little muffin fan under the res blowing up and one isolating fan blowing into the closet so idk what else i can do the get the temp down.. and humidity up..its just a confusing feeling.

And as far as meters go, I plan to get the tools but in good time :) I hope not to spend over 50 bucks on meteres and new stone...etc. well thanks guys and i will try and figure out how to post and stuff on the Deep Water Culture forum!!

Thanks again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom