Detroit Saved from Detroit by Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A few years ago, I got an assignment from another media outlet to cover various attractions and places of interest in Detroit, Michigan and its surrounding suburbs, which proved to be one of the hardest gigs I've ever encountered. There's not much happening in Detroit -- at least according to the haute parameters of Conde Nast, it turns out. Well, that particular Conde property bit the dust as a result of the Great Recession, and now Detroit is going to be saved from its economic woes as a result of weed.

That’s according to my favorite PR pitch of the week (and on a Monday, no less): “It’s no secret; the economic climate in Metro Detroit is in the worst shape it has been since the great depression. However, there is one gleaming ray of hope left, medical marijuana.” I’d paraphrase the rest of the pitch for you and add some BlackBook-appropriate cultural references (Back to School, Rodney Dangerfield, Eminem, blablabla) but it’s a Monday and this is some genius shit, best left unadulterated. From our peeps at faculty at Weed U:

Last April, Michigan became the 13th state to enact medical marijuana legislation. Since its inception, hundreds of businesses have opened their doors, generating tens of millions of dollars in revenue collectively. “With a vast majority of the community in Metro Detroit supporting safe medical marijuana use, many people are looking into the industry as a viable career path” said Nick Tennant. Tennant is the President and Founder of Med Grow Cannabis College in Southfield, Michigan, a business district just outside of the Detroit city limits.

Med Grow opened its doors last September, and since then has seen over 1000 graduates.

Med Grow, which educates caregivers and entrepreneurs for the Michigan medical marijuana industry, is one of the many businesses that have seen explosive growth. “It is great to be part of something that can help the local economy and community…so many people are facing trying times in Michigan” Tennant said. Tennant went on to explain how former auto industry employees are moving to the medical marijuana industry after being unable to find work anywhere in the State. “We even have people moving here from Ohio and Illinois” exclaimed Tennant.

With an unemployment rate of over 15%, why not become educated for a career in what could perhaps be Michigan’s last true growth industry (no-pun intended)? For an unemployed Detroit resident, the aforementioned may be his or her last glimpse of hope.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: blackbookmag.com
Author: Fernando Cwilich Gil
Copyright: 2010 BlackBook Media Corp.
Website: Detroit Saved from Detroit by Marijuana - BlackBook

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

I certainly don't see the auto industry making a come back.

Back
Top Bottom