Digital timer troubleshooting

CaptainCanna

Hello everyone,

I have been scouring the Internet searching for my problem but I didn’t find a definitive answer.

Here’s the deal. Since I installed my 250w HPS, I’ve had problems every once in a while with the digital timer.
Apparently, the digital timer sometime fails to turn the light on.

For instance, it may work three or four day, but will then fail and I'll have to reset it. Then, it will continue working for three or four days again. However, I have no problem with turning the light off; the timer works perfectly in that matter.

It also does that everyday sometimes.

Has this ever happened to some of you? Could the problem come from somewhere else?
I was wondering if the problem is the digital timer? Should I toss it in favor of a mechanical timer?

It is nerve racking because I'm in a situation where I can no longer trust the device.

A few questions that need clarifying.

1) What is the Amp rating of the timer?
2) What is the amperage of the line supplying the circuit?
3) What else is on the circuit other than the light?

It's more than likely one of those things. The other possibility is that you are having brownouts or power flickers... this will cause the ballast to shut off and will not relight without cycling the power.

Yes, I forgot.

The timer is rated for 15A and 3500W. (I’m on 220V).

I did have stuff on the circuit as well, but I moved them to another outlet. However, I’ve never had any problem before.

The circuit will hold 16A.

Perhaps putting another circuit breaker with higher amp?

Do not change the circuit breaker without re-wiring the circuit. The wire is probably not rated to push more amperage than what the circuit breaker is rated for. This is a good way to start a fire in your walls. Changing them to a different outlet in the same room will generally not take them off of the circuit in most homes. In most states in the US (not sure on code in other countries), you are aloud to have 12 points on a single circuit. That means 12 outlets or light sockets (or any combination of each) per run.

It is possible that you have a bad timer or it has failed. However, it sounds like a excess load. If it is happening intermittently, it sounds as if other fans, pumps, lights etc. are drawing more power at some times and not at others. Then when the light goes to fire (ballast have a much higher amperage pull when firing).

Alright.

I’ll see where the problem comes from. I’ll get another timer and try to turn off other equipment’s at the moment the ballast fires up.

Thanks for your input, bro!

Most digital timers have a battery back up for programing memory. it sounds like you could be losing your timers memory from brown outs if it doesn't have a battery installed or dead battery

Back
Top Bottom