LED lights glow when off

If it were me and I had a few bucks to purchase a cheap electrical tester or DVOM (digital volt ohm meter), I would buy one and check to see whether my neutral and hot lines might be reversed (for that particular outlet, wiring run, or I suppose the entire electrical system if the fuse/breaker box is miswired). If I remember correctly, this could cause what you are describing, depending on the device. Apparently, this is not as rare as you might expect, with older homes.

But I am certainly no electrician, so if one happens to read this post, please comment, lol.

If it were me and I had a few bucks to purchase a cheap electrical tester or DVOM (digital volt ohm meter), I would buy one and check to see whether my neutral and hot lines might be reversed (for that particular outlet, wiring run, or I suppose the entire electrical system if the fuse/breaker box is miswired). If I remember correctly, this could cause what you are describing, depending on the device. Apparently, this is not as rare as you might expect, with older homes.

But I am certainly no electrician, so if one happens to read this post, please comment, lol.
I agree, Our chandelier has some leakage but we never worried about it. House was built in the late 80's when LED did not exist.
20191218_115411[1].jpg

If i were to troubleshoot this issue i would grab a voltage meter and do what @TorturedSoul mentions and make sure the receptacle is wired properly. With a 120VAC receptacle with the ground facing down. The 120v line should be on the right (smaller hole) and the neutral is the larger one on the left. Test hot to ground, should get 120v. Test neutral to ground, should get zero. Then i would do a continuity test between neutral and ground & it should ring out and be connected. If it is not i would look in to getting an electician to see if your main service neutral is bonded to ground. & also that your service ground is properly connected and working. & that none of the lines above your service meter are damaged where they exit the service head and connect to the hydro lines. Also you could try a different timer. Try both the voltage tests in the receptacle and through the timer with the timer on and off. Pref. on a switched receptacle or pull the fuse/breaker for the one you have & test the receptacle/timer voltages to see if power is getting through with it off. If thats the case you may have induced voltages etc. Alternatively you can add a resistor to drain the voltage. We do this lots in plcs but bonding the neutral on the plc backup inverters usually works every time.

Back
Top Bottom