DIY Organic soil mix too hot? ph and ec issues!

Ganja Droid 420

Howdy, looks like I made my soil mix too rich it's burning the plants.

Scotts Osmocote Plus Organics 25L Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Premium Planting Mix ------(50lt)
Verasoil Pure Worm Castings 15kg All Purpose Fertilizer-------------------------------------------------(15kg)
Garden Basics 25L Organic Compost (forgot to add whoops!)
Perlite -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(30%)
Vermiculite ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(20 cups)

I have been feeding a half dose of Bio Canna with a ph 6.1 and EC of 0.5 and a slow burn continues. I just flushed each plant with 9 litres of H20 ph@6.1 and the run-off read: They've been in their new 7 gal container soil mix for 23 days now and that flush were their forth watering). WW#1 seems rather resilient in comparison to the burn on WW#2.

WW#1 PH 7.0 EC 3.4
WW#2 PH 7.0 EC 3.8 (2.7 second test towards end of draining)

I'm thinking the only thing to-do is plain water feeds/flushes throughout the veg cycle, until it shows signs that it needs extra nutrients. Any suggestions? Am I right to assume nutrient burn or are we looking at something else? It's probably too late to repot the plants unless I up the container size. You can check out my White Widow journal in progress.

Any help would be most appreciated! Cheers!

20220422_232042.jpg
20220422_232021.jpg
20220422_232014_HDR.jpg
20220422_232126.jpg

Hi Mate - you don't need to pH Bio down to 6.1
6.3-6.5 is the range as it's Bio, not synthetic
If you are using the full range (Vera/Roots/Top etc) the pH usually lands at about 6.5 with no adjustment required
Micros are more available at the lower end but NPK is more available at the higher end, that is why you are seeing a CaMg/P/K def

Thankyou so much @Emilya and @Growings! I'll attempt to stop treating it like coco (Bad droid bad!)

Howdy, looks like I made my soil mix too rich it's burning the plants.
Maybe, or maybe not. It is hard to tell exactly what is going on with the plants but that is later. The soil mix is off but nothing shows that it is too hot.

Best to use volume to mix up the basic soil and use the standards of 1/3 soil, 1/3 peat or similar and 1/3 aeration. It will help reduce confusion later. You used liters (volume), kilograms (weight) percentages and then cups (volume).

You missed the compost but the Vegetable & Herb mix can be considered a substitute potting mix with some chemical nutrients already added. The Worm Casting are OK since they are often considered part of the soil portion of the mix and they are not strong enough to create any real problem. The Perlite and the Vermiculite are inert and are used for providing small pockets of air and to reduce the possibility of soil compacting over the time of the grow.

The group is working out the nutrients that seem to be missing so that should work out.

Testing the pH of the soil after watering is now considered not necessary is a soil grow. It ends up being something that causes confusion or unnecessary worry.

Back
Top Bottom