Do you find it shocking that clergy love cannabis?

You make very reasonable arguments, and I apologize if I have offended you. I feel strongly about this because of extensive research I did on the subject during my seminary days. I put a lot of hours into this thing! You are correct that we serve the same God, and such things are insignificant in the bigger picture. While I look at scripture from a different point of view than you, that makes your arguments no less valid than mine.

My original attempt in this post was to point out that cannabis was used extensively in biblical times, including the priesthood as a manner of preparing one's self for the religious experience of being in the presence of God and for healing. I still hold my original claim as true, but I also respect your skepticism, as all of us who seek God must be careful of the charlatans that will lead us down the wrong path. I also stand by my claim that Jesus and His disciples used such oil for healing purposes as related vaguely in scripture, but is also supported more clearly in some non-canonical texts of the time.

At any rate, no hostility was intended, and differences of views and beliefs are what make us interesting. I appreciate your input on the subject. Peace and love.

Thank you for this turning into what may be a good conversation. On the question of biblical inerrancy, how far should a Christian take some of the stuff in the Old Testament, such as the stoning of rebelious youth, eye for an eye, etc. Growing up in a pretty fundamentalist denomination there seemed to be a lot more law and a lot less grace. About eight years ago I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy and we depend on the interpretation of the church fathers and the saints; a lot more grace and less law.

Basically my church is opposed to cannabis use but I truly believe that is based on reefer madness propoganda. I believe that if the bishops were to revisit the issue examining the issue using modern scientific studies that they might very well change their position.

Any who, thanks for not turning this into another stone throwing session. I wait with bated breath for more conversation.

Hey, we can all agree to disagree. I believe like you Colum that most churches get their bias from reefer madness, or just thought that "Christians shouldn't do drugs." As for inerrancy, that is one of those things in the eye of the beholder. Ultimately only you can decide which way is right and which way is wrong for you. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I found the path that works for my life of faith. It's hard to find that one place that allows your own deepest held beliefs to blossom. That's why Bono sang "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

i think that christian belief and faith can co-exist with the moderate and discreet use of marijuana. the bible wants us to obey the laws of the land as well as God's laws. same with moderation in alcohol consumption. we shouldn't tempt others with it and cause others to sin.
yes, there are clergy who even brag about using this herb. i don't feel good about that one. in my view, marijuana is best confined for medical use. this includes the calming of one's mind when the time is appropriate.

i think that christian belief and faith can co-exist with the moderate and discreet use of marijuana. the bible wants us to obey the laws of the land as well as God's laws. same with moderation in alcohol consumption. we shouldn't tempt others with it and cause others to sin.
yes, there are clergy who even brag about using this herb. i don't feel good about that one. in my view, marijuana is best confined for medical use. this includes the calming of one's mind when the time is appropriate.

Well said and I agree. My church does approve of moderate use of alcohol and we have our fair share of devout believers who are addicted to tobacco. Personally, I believe that moderate use of cannabis for 'recreational' use is not a sin. As it is much less harmful than alcohol, I just think it is the healthier choice to unwind and chill out.

ymmv. :hookah:

It doesn't surprise me a a bit. When I was in school many,many years ago,the guys attending the Theological college at my uni were some of the biggest stoners on campus. The Philosophy dept. was a den of vipers,too.

Weed always seems to be the abstract thinkers intoxicant of choice.

Yes. Research it, and tell me that a man named Jesus did not exist and was not executed by the Jews. Also, if Jesus was a liar, then why would he and his followers be willing to die for a lie they had simply "imagined" up?

The Bible is actually one of the worlds oldest historically correct accounts of our ancient past.

Yes. The bible has a lot of scientifically correct information, as well... you know how they said that when it was discovered that the earth was round, it wasn't immediately embraced because of "Christian" dogma that the earth was flat? Well, the bible says that when Jesus comes again, some people will be working (it will be day) and others will be asleep (night.) Half of the world will be lit and half of the world will be dark. Sodom and Gomorrah have been excavated, as well. There's a lot more, actually... but this really isn't the place to argue or anything. I just thought that information was very interesting.

The ingredient cannabis (or in this case "[SIZE=-1] KANNABOSM" as conveniently placed in Chris Bennett's own version of the bible) [/SIZE]is not mentioned...yet again we find man altering God's Holy word and twisting it to try and meet whatever idea he has come up with next. We are warned of these kind of people in the New Testament, and they are referred to as false teachers.

1 Try the original Hebrew or Greek, you will actually find that it is Knh Bsm - KannaBosm - early botanical name for Cannabis.

So perhaps a little more research on your part, would be a good idea.

'It was Sula Bennet that translated the text originally, therefore perhaps she was some evil, weed, tokin dame, who was out to destroy the church.':hippy:

I too believed like you once, however, unlike you I have always struggled with the fact that the Roman church where the keepers of the original scripts, and they where the translators. Things are finally changing and we are now getting more accurate translations, and the Roman church has lost its power over the original texts.

You might also be interested to know that the Hebrew scholars in Jerusalem, also agree that the ingredient is Cannabis.

Yes. Research it, and tell me that a man named Jesus did not exist and was not executed by the Jews. Also, if Jesus was a liar, then why would he and his followers be willing to die for a lie they had simply "imagined" up?

The Bible is actually one of the worlds oldest historically correct accounts of our ancient past.

Jesus was supposedly sentenced to execution by a ROMAN named Pilate and nailed to the cross by ROMAN soldiers at the behest of Jews, not executed BY Jews.

If thou art going to spew forth information please be accurate.

Actually the Bible is a rip off of the story of an Egyptian God named Horus worshipped 3000 years earlier. On top of that the "Bible" is not really the Bible. It is a collection of books accepted by the church that fits their story. Many texts written at the same time have been deemed not to "fit" therefore have been left out. Many of these books were not even written until a few hundred years after the fact (or fiction IMO).

Some parallels between Horus and Jesus Christ:

1. Horus born of a virgin. <> Jesus born of a virgin.

2. The foster father of Horus was Seb or Seph. <> Jesus was fostered by Joseph. (Jo Seph)

3. Horus was of royal descent. <> Jesus was of royal descent.

4. Horus birth accompanied by three solar deities [star gazers] who followed by the morning star of Sirius bearing gifts. <> Jesus birth accompanied by three wise men [Zoroastrian star gazers] who followed by a star "in the east" bearing gifts.

5. The birth of Horus announced by angels. <> The birth of Jesus announced by angels.

6. Herut tried to murder the infant Horus. <> Herod slaughtered every first born in an attempt to kill Jesus the forthcoming messiah.

7. Horus is baptized at age 30 by Anup the Baptiser at a river. <> Jesus is baptized at age 30 by John the Baptist at a river.

8. Horus resists temptation by the evil Sut [Sut was to be the precursor for the Hebrew Satan] on a high mountain. <> Jesus resists temptation by Satan on a high mountain.

9. Horus had 12 followers. <> Jesus had 12 disciples.

10. Horus performed miracles like healing the sick and walking on water. <> Jesus performed miracles like healing the sick and walking on water.

11. Horus raised someone from the grave [his father Osiris] <> Jesus raised Lazarus [notice the name similarity] from the grave. Lazarus is short for Elasarus - the "us" on the end is romanized. Elasarus was derived from "El-Asar" which was the name given to Osiris.

12. Horus was buried and resurrected in the city of Anu. <> The place Bethany mentioned in John was a derivative of the words "Bet" and "Anu" which translates "the house of Anu". The 'y' on the end of bethany is interchangeable with the letter 'u'.

13. Horus was killed by crucifixtion. <> Jesus was crucified.

14. Horus was accompanied by two thieves at the crucifixtion. <> Jesus was crucified with two thieves.

15. Horus was buried in a tomb at Anu. <> Jesus was buried in a tomb located in Bethany [Bet-Anu].

16. Horus was resurrected after 3 days. <> Jesus was "said" to resurrected after over a period of three days.

17. The resurrection of Horus was announced by three women. <> The resurrection of Jesus was announced by three women.

18. Horus was given the titel KRST which means "anointed one" <> Jesus was given the title Christ [Christos] meaning "anointed one"

NO, I do not find it shocking that people smoke cannabis to come to grips with a story that has soooo many holes.

Spirituality is one thing, most organized religion is a form of terrorism.

Honk if you have threatened your children with eternal damnation today !!

:peace:
WillyB

Do not take my word for it, go research it... as in read the translations about Horus. Alot of bullsh*t from both sides is said about the Horus - Jesus comparison. Read the original translations (not the pro Horus/ wiki and Church site LIES) and decide for yourself.

Horus had a few incarnations over the years, you need to read about all of them to find the above info. Alot of Churches try and disprove this by using the facts of 1 and only 1 of Horus' incarnations as a God. They tend to pick and choose like many pick and choose from the Bible. Many many Christians are divorced for reasons other than adultary yet get remarried and "live in sin". Even if you ask for forgiveness for this you still wake up the next day "Living in sin".

* And yes, if you are a person who likes to pick and choose, or does not take the bible literally and likes to define everything to suit yourself then yes, you can take away about 50% of the list above.

Once again I present :

ter·ror·ism   /ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm/ [ter-uh-riz-uhm]

–noun
1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce
2. the state of fear and submission
produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Honk if you have threatened your children with eternal damnation today !!

Now go smoke a few bowls so you do not feel bad about treating the children so poorly..........

And NO, I am not an Athiest or Wicca or a member of any other religious group...... I am 50% Irish / Scottish ( dads side) (Clan MacKenzie FTW)/ 50% German (moms side) American and associate myself more along the lines of a Shaman / Druid / Pagan wanna b.

:peace:
WillyB aka MetalHippie

Well, I thought that by firing up in front of visiting Jehova's Witnesses would turn them away. Wrong!!!!! Now they come around all the time. I do have some time for some stoner Jesus people. Amen?

Preachin' is cool. On a bliss scale from one to ten, I would like to be at the top smokin' top shelf and trippin' on eternal life and happiness in paradise. Come on!!

Back
Top Bottom