Do you know of a difference between quantum board light height and power level?

The123321

I have a 240w kingbrite quantum board. I have a lux meter and if I get the same lux at for example 36" from plants with the power on 80% would there be a difference if the lux is the same at 24" and 60% power? If the lux is the same is there a difference in having the quantum board higher up in the the tent at a higher power level vs at a lower height at a lower power level on there?

is there a difference in having the quantum board higher up in the the tent at a higher power level vs at a lower height at a lower power level on there?

Higher power @ greater height = larger footprint. If you can get an adequate PPFD / DLI across the entire area in which you are growing plants by lowering the light and decreasing its output, then there's no point in wasting the electricity by doing otherwise.

Not so much with newer LEDs than older ones and I don’t think it affects you but in case someone sees this later on with a different, older LED I’ll just put it out there and probably get told I’m wrong a million ways but I’ll say it.

I’ve done some research like most people do and I did find/hear/read that there are some diodes when you decrease the power to them you start losing some of the full light spectrum they emit. So with some boards, lowering the wattage on the driver to the board could limit the spectrum of light to your plant and not necessarily giving the full spectrum of light they would get under 100% power.

FYI I have the same manufacturer of my LEDs and it’s not something I’m worried about when I dim mine to reduce heat.

Not so much with newer LEDs than older ones and I don’t think it affects you but in case someone sees this later on with a different, older LED I’ll just put it out there and probably get told I’m wrong a million ways but I’ll say it.

I’ve done some research like most people do and I did find/hear/read that there are some diodes when you decrease the power to them you start losing some of the full light spectrum they emit. So with some boards, lowering the wattage on the driver to the board could limit the spectrum of light to your plant and not necessarily giving the full spectrum of light they would get under 100% power.

FYI I have the same manufacturer of my LEDs and it’s not something I’m worried about when I dim mine to reduce heat.

I can see this happening with older LEDs and drivers, especially ones that weren't intended to be dimmed. I'm not an engineer but would imagine that severely under-driving an LED could damage it the same way over-driving it could over time. There are dimmable and non-dimmable lightbulbs for your home so I would think dimming something that isn't designed to be dimmed would be a dim-witted move :cool: :laughtwo: :sorry:

Back
Top Bottom