Don't Fly with Vaporizers

T.A. Sedlak

Don't Fly with the Volcano
By: T.A. Sedlak (Author of Anarcho Grow)

A few days after Christmas, I had to head to New York from Madison, WI to visit my girlfriend's family. I recently had a sinus infection, so the Volcano was essential. I'm one of those stoners who's virtually made a total switch from smoking to vaporizing, anyway. Hell, there's a Volcano hidden on the cover of my book, Anarcho Grow.

I'm no dummy, either. I soaked the machine's pieces in alcohol before leaving, the press and bag attachments. All spotless. As I waited for my bag to pass through the conveyor belt along with my jacket and shoes, I had no fear. However, I wasn't surprised when a TSA worker said, "Let's send it through again. Get another picture."

They'll take it out. I'll explain that it's an herb vaporizer and be on my way, I thought.

Wrong. They knew what it was, or had an idea, and searched my bag thoroughly for pot, hoping they could bring a charge. The process was taking long enough that I took a seat nearby. Twenty minutes passed before the TSA worker approached and told me the sheriff had been called. He said something quickly about paraphernalia. Something else I couldn't make out.

"What?" I asked.

Again, he spoke quickly.

"What?"

"Nitro glycerin. It tested positive for it."

"You're joking?" I said.

"I never joke about my job," he said sternly.

I waited uneasily for another twenty minutes before the sheriff arrived. The TSA employee allowed me to pack the rest of the things in my bag while the Volcano and its accoutrements were set aside. Eventually, a short chubby man wearing a crew cut and mustache over oily skin showed. He looked plucked from a stock comedy flick.

"What's this machine?" he asked.

"A vaporizer."

"What do you use with it?"

"Herbs, chamomile, echinacea..."

"What?" he said.

"Chamomile and Echinacea."

"Tea?"

"The herbs can be used for tea, yes."

He opened my grinder and inspected it. "Pretty clean," he said. He looked at me. "You got some I.D."

I handed him my license.

"You can take a seat over there," he said, pointing to the chair I'd come to know.

I glanced at the clock. My plane was to board in eighteen minutes.
Fifteen minutes passed before he returned. He first spoke with a TSA agent. I heard the words "no priors," and wondered if they'd illegally steal my machine.

The cop approached with the Volcano, its attachments, and my I.D. in a gray plastic bin. "Here," he said.

"I'm free to go?"

"Yeah, where are you going?" he said.

"New York."

"Visiting friends there?"

"Something like that."

I'd been harassed by rogues who could legally do nothing. One man had even made a false claim that my luggage tested positive for explosives. All to try to bring a pot charge on me. Though it's within one's rights to travel with a clean Volcano, you may want to forgo it to avoid the hassle. TSA employees are after pot heads just as much terrorists. Maybe even more so.

Good story. Kinda ballzy of ya. As i was reading i thought for sure they would hold you just long enough for you to miss your flight.

Update

Update to this story:

In returning home from NY I decided to remove the Volcano from my bag and place it in its own tray with its accoutrements, like people have to do with laptops. That way the TSA workers at least wouldn't search through my whole hiking pack. I know the TSA workers in Madison seemed to think I was attempting to hide the machine in my bag. Besides the NY crew dropping my Volcano on the floor, there were no problems. They just tested it for explosives (took less than a minute) and had me on my way. Thanks La Guardia TSA crew.

I guess the safest means to carry a vaporizer, since it's going to get tested anyway, is to remove it from you bag and put it in its own tray.

Most of the time it seems that people don't see what is in front of their face. They have to be looking for it. Lucky you though, good on the informative side; Thanks!

I got busted for something non drug related and when the searched my house they took my smokes and bong. They took my vaporizer that was on my desk and set it on the ground to keep searching i presume. The never took my vapor borthers... I guess they didnt know what it was...

:bravo: fairfax co

Please don't take this the wrong way, but trying to take a vaporizer on a plane was pretty dumb, especially after 9/11. Even moreso if it was a few days past this past Christmas, considering that a guy DID try to blow himself up on a flight into Detroit Christmas day.

I would have been more surprised if they'd of let it through

Please don't take this the wrong way, but trying to take a vaporizer on a plane was pretty dumb, especially after 9/11. Even moreso if it was a few days past this past Christmas, considering that a guy DID try to blow himself up on a flight into Detroit Christmas day.

I would have been more surprised if they'd of let it through

They did let it through. Didn't you read his update about the trip back?

I wasn't thinking of the return flight, but it seems to me that they let it through that time because it was out in the open, so the TSA workers could see what it was, as opposed to being stuffed inside of his luggage, so it only shows on an x-ray scan.

Imagine that you work for the TSA and the x-ray scanner turns up one of these in some guy's luggage.

volcano3d-5d.86769

Of course its not going to look like that on an x-ray, all you'd be able to see is that its a complex piece of electrical equipment with a metal casing. Are YOU going to take the chance that its a vape and not a bomb?

I know I wouldn't.

I know that I wouldn't lie to someone by telling them it tested positive for nitroglycerin, then call the cops to try to bust the person for paraphernalia. Any TSA employee can tell a Volcano vaporizer's not a bomb with a cursory check. However, a TSA employee who's a prick will try to bust the person for paraphernalia. Unfortunately, that's who I encountered.

That's irritating. At least they let you go just in time.

Smart move cleaning it beforehand though, they were definitely just out to get people.

To avoid trouble, it might be best to ship it. However, U.S. citizens have a legal right to travel with a vaporizer so long as it has no residue from an illegal product on it. Some people, including myself, believe that individuals should exercise this right, so that we don't lose it. The more people who stand up for a right, the better chance we keep it. So, to answer your question: I believe the better choice is to travel with it. However, I completely understand if one would prefer to ship their vaporizer to forgo the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom