DPH Holds Hearing On Medical Marijuana Law In Holyoke

Truth Seeker

Medical marijuana is now legal in Massachusetts but regulations for its use are still being worked out.

On Wednesday, the Department of Public Health held the third and last public hearing on implementing the medical marijuana law.

It drew an overflow crowd at Holyoke Community College.

Many people testified about their own conditions and how medical marijuana could help them.

Among those testifying was Charles Papsadore, Jr. who has Multiple Sclerosis.

"Basically how it helps is it doesn't knock you out like the very powerful pain killers because I have a neurological condition, you can not get me hooked on narcotics for the rest of my life so I can function while you're on medical marijuana," says Papsadore.

Leslie Tarr Laurie, President and CEO of Tapestry Health, sees the same benefit for many of the patients her organization helps who have aids.

"Many have told us that being able to use marijuana would actually relieve some of the pain and suffering," says Laurie.

One of the concerns of the Dept. of Public Health is that marijuana might become more widely used on a recreational basis especially among teenagers.

Dr. Lauren Smith, Interim Public Health Commissioner, says that concern is being addressed. "We need to balance the needs of the individual patients with making sure there aren't any adverse side affects if you will for the rest of the Commonwealth," says Dr. Smith.

One representative from the Coalition for Responsible Health Care told the hearing that medical marijuana should have specific labeling.

"There's a whole variety of cannabis and they have different effects so we want the product be labeled so the person looking for medication can get the right medication for the ailment they're suffering from" says Dorian DesLauriers.

Interim Public Health Commissioner Dr. Lauren Smith also says that her department is talking to health leaders in many of the other 17 states that have legal marijuana to learn what has worked and what has not.

DPH is facing a May 1st deadline to out the new law into effect.

MMJ31.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: wggb.com
Author: wggb.com
Contact: Western Massachusetts Breaking News and First Warning Weather with WGGB.com ABC 40
Website: DPH Holds Hearing on Medical Marijuana Law in Holyoke - Western Massachusetts Breaking News and First Warning Weather with WGGB.com ABC 40

Back
Top Bottom