Northampton Medical Marijuana Practice

Truth Seeker

A city doctor is recommending medical marijuana treatment for her patients.

Dr. Jill Griffin runs PedalMed and Northampton Medical Marijuana.

"I met an entirely new segment of the population that I did not know existed" said Dr. Griffin.

The 17 year veteran Doctor says her outlook on the substance as treatment has changed since she started recommending it for patients.

"I had a preconceived idea of what this was about and I am really getting an education," said Dr. Griffin.

Dr. Griffin does not prescribe, but instead recommends the use of marijuana to treat chronic or a terminal disease. Her recommendation and an application are sent by certified mail to the Department of Public Health and act a an ID until the regulations are finalized.

Voters passed the law allowing medical marijuana in November. It took effect in January, but the Department of Public Health has not finished the regulations.

"A patient with a doctors certification without doing anything else is protected for the possession, use and cultivation within limits set. The 60 day supply rule," said Attorney Mike Cutler.

Dr. Griffin has treated about 85 patients so far and says it's helped dramatically.

"She [an unnamed patient] went from having not left her house in about six months, to getting up and going shopping with her daughter-in-law," said Dr. Griffin.

Dr. Griffin admits she's gotten negative feedback and is still fearful, but is happy to be one of the first doctors to legally help her patients get marijuana treatment.

"It's an interesting ride so far all the way around," said Dr. Griffin.

Since there are no dispensaries are open, it's still uncertain where a patient gets their marijuana or the seeds to grow it.

The Department of Public Health is set to finish the regulations by May 8th. If the Public Health Council approves, they'll go into effect on May 24th.

Dr_Jill_Griffin.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: wggb.com
Author: wggb.com
Contact: Western Massachusetts Breaking News and First Warning Weather with WGGB.com ABC 40
Website: Northampton Medical Marijuana Practice - Western Massachusetts Breaking News and First Warning Weather with WGGB.com ABC 40

Back
Top Bottom