Drug traffickers Shoot NDLEA Officials In Ondo

MedicalNeed

Nigeria - A notorious drug cartel in Eyinogbe area of Owo, Ondo State, yesterday launched a daring attack on security officials mobilised to the area to seize a warehouse loaded with cannabis, otherwise known as Indian hemp, shooting two officers of the National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and three policemen.

The victims are currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital in Akure following various degrees of gunshot injuries they sustained during the operation, which lasted for over two hours.

The attack took the State Command of the NDLEA, which had mounted surveillance in the area, by surprise as the drug cartel mobilised hundreds of fully armed hoodlums to the scene to confront the security agents.

Commander of the NDLEA in Ondo State, Walter Nicholas, told journalists in Akure that the injured officials are responding to treatment.

“We had mounted surveillance in the area following the tip off from members of the community that the warehouse is loaded with the largest concentration of Indian hemp in a single location,” he said.

“We went to Eyinogbe with assistance from about 70 policemen to raid the warehouse jointly owned by a consortium of barons in the area. The operation was led by the agency’s operation commander in the state, Polycap Duguba; the Area Commander of Owo, and the Divisonal Police Officer in charge of the town around 2am, Thursday.”

He said as the operation team was trying to force the warehouse open, about 100 hoodlums suddenly swooped on them to prevent the operation from going ahead.

He added that the hoodlums also set ablaze the bags of Indian hemps, which they packed in front of the warehouse and sprinkled the warehouse with petrol, in order to burn NDLEA officers and the policemen in an attempt to resist the invasion.

The NDLEA boss pointed out that the security men made use of their professional tactics and training to escape the attack, which would have been a major bloodbath.

“They came in ten commercial buses and were armed by the barons, emerged from their hidings, and opened fire of the security agencies,” Mr. Nicholas said.

“If not for the special grace of God, my men and the policemen would have been roasted alive by the hoodlums who want to still remain in the business to sell Indian hemps,” he said.

He said his men went back to the place a few hours after the attack and were able to recover about 23 tonnes of Indian hemp, valued at about N23m.

The anti-drugs officials, therefore, appealed to the state deputy governor, Ali Olanusi, to speak with traditional rulers in the state, especially in Owo area, to identify those buying land from them to plant hemps and hand them over to security agencies.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:234next.com
Author: Ayodeji Moradeyo
Copyright: 2009 234next.com.Timbuktu Media LTD

no comments . i guess i will keep my pie hole shut , until T-minus whenever it feels right .

Back
Top Bottom