Duct booster for vent?

JDJP

so is an 8" duct booster fan necked down to 6" duct in a closed loop vent system enough to cool a 1000w hps?

and by closed vent system i mean pulling air from outside through the light and back outside, im not sure what you call that.

the duct will be around 20' long end to end with a few 90* turns.

I have a powerful 6" fan, but i would like to use it for a scrubber with my carbon filter.

so is an 8" duct booster fan necked down to 6" duct in a closed loop vent system enough to cool a 1000w hps?

and by closed vent system i mean pulling air from outside through the light and back outside, im not sure what you call that.

the duct will be around 20' long end to end with a few 90* turns.

I have a powerful 6" fan, but i would like to use it for a scrubber with my carbon filter.

There are other factors that play into answering your question.

1) How big is your grow space?
2) Is your grow space ventilated, and if so how?
3) What kind of ambient temps are you seeing?
4) How hot does your grow space get now?

Duct boosters don't move that much air in comparison to an inline fan. It's possible that what you are considering may work, just depends on the bigger picture. :smokin:

1)9x4x8tall
2)air conditioned, big window unit, and central
3)summer temps will be hot outside 90s 100s
4)havn't tried the 1000w or the window unit yet 11000 btu

Looks to me like you can give the duct booster a try and see what happens. If you are having temp issues then you will have to do something different. Kinda trial and error....

1)9x4x8tall
2)air conditioned, big window unit, and central
3)summer temps will be hot outside 90s 100s
4)havn't tried the 1000w or the window unit yet 11000 btu

Well I am running a 1000w switchable in a 6 x 9 room with a 400cfm inline fan an exhausting heat and a 250cfm duct booster for intake brining in 65 degree air from the basement and heats stay round 78 for me little cooler actually when central air comes on as the room in the basement where my cool air comes from actually is colder in the summer.

or could i use the duct booster for the scrubber?

I think you should leave the 6" inline with the scrubber. Whether you push or pull, the duct booster cfm goes down dramatically with resistance, while the inline will handle the resistance better.

or could i use the duct booster for the scrubber?

I have built a duct right into a door with a regular floor vent cut into the door and then basically what looks like a smoke stack on the inside of the door with the duct booster in it drawing cold air off my basements concrete floor the temp I read at the intake is around 60-65 this way. So anyways duct booster draws in 250cfm blowing the cold air into the room which is circulated by the oscilating fans then 400cfm inline draws any rising heat from the ceiling thru the reflector and then out to the carbon filter use as big a carbon filter as you can , I would suggest you check out the DIY postings and use one of the plans for a carbon scrubbs and make it huge like step up to a 8" pvc pipe from the 6" duct to reduce resistance as it blows into the scrubber if you can I would even consider stepping up to a 10" duct from the 6" on the inline the more resistance you cut down the better your cooling will be with my setup I am able to maintain 74-76 degrees with an rh of 38% during the day and it climbs a bit when temps drop at night to around 65 degrees in the summer the temps are around 82 and rh of 35 and night temp of 75 and rh of 43% becuase of drawing cold dry air off the concrete floor.

You can't run a duct booster fan for a carbon filter/scrubber. It's just not powerful enough. Keep in mind when shopping for a booster fan that the cfms that they state on the box are definently not correct. I've seen 550cfm booster fans that have no where near as mush power as a small 4" inline fan rated in the 200's

Back
Top Bottom