Dutch Bud Has Fallen From Grace

Hash

Ok I was hi-jacking the 4/20 thread so I will bring this discussion here.

We were talking about how cross-breeding and cloning has effected marijuana around the globe. Like for instance Purple Haze is no longer around because of these two practices.

I feel that this article about sums it all up, It's from the 04 Cannibis Cup issue of HT.

Reeferman said:
SMOKE RISES
HIGH TIMES Prevail at the 17th Cannabis Cup

by David Bienenstock

"Well, I guess us BC boys showed Amsterdam the buds," Reeferman told a stunned crowd at this year's Cannabis Cup closing ceremonies after accepting the Seed Company Sativa Cup for his Love Potion #1 strain. A tall, bearded, burly Paul Bunyan look-alike, the young reefer revolutionary squinted into the limelight, clutching his bronze statue at the altar of the Church of Cannabis, and calmly overturned the tables of the moneychangers–charging the Dutch establishment with letting profits trump pot by crossbreeding their once-proud strains until they were as inbred as the "crowned heads" who ruled Europe's royal families two centuries ago.

"Dutch bud has fallen from grace. And if we don't start outcrossing and producing new elite genetics, we're not going to have anything but bottlenecked, tired old shit in 10 years," Reeferman told HIGH TIMES during an intimate sit-down prior to his big win, citing 1991 as the peak year for pot potency. "All the plants circulating now are based on genetic selections done by a few people in the mid-'70s and early '80s. Much of the cannabis gene pool is in decline because of inbreeding and the fact is clones that have been passed down for 20 years are becoming very old."

A hero to the marijuana-genetics underground, Reeferman arrived at the Cup all but unknown to the industry's major players–just another upstart among the handful of Canadian seed merchants who entered this year's competition, the first ever open to Maple Leaf marijuana. A former hog breeder with a degree in agriculture, the man at the center of Reeferman Inc. understands that maintaining a diversity of genetics is the best way to ensure the existence of a hearty lifeline as cannabis enters the 21st century. He's part of a new generation–F2 growers, if you will–who respect and appreciate the accomplishments of the field's pioneers long before they arrived but also understand the vast amount of work required to secure our smoke in a time of serious global prohibition. This new breed of breeders has been meeting on the Internet, trading seeds like the Dead tape collectors of old and logging the results of their experiments in public journals–forming an informal, organic, decentralized peer-based review system, as did the noble gentlemen who founded the great scientific societies at the dawn of the Enlightenment.

"We're not going to achieve anything in cannabis genetics unless we actually get into the land races and discover new elites," Reeferman explained, citing his experiments with several popular varieties from the '70s previously feared to be lost forever, including Panama Red and Santa Marta. The land-race-based strains he works with were tracked down in their countries of origin–Colombia, Thailand, India, China, Vietnam–then improved through a series of parental selections before being crossed with other "purebred" plants to form new, unique strains. It's the kind of work that takes tremendous time, land and resources, which explains why most growers choose to produce profitable pot plants instead of vital new genetics.

yeah there arnt that many landrace strains anymore. there are just a few like malawi gold and a few others. they are really hard to find. breeders have to go around the world to collect seeds from the natives then breed those together

i read somewhere that the potency has gone up since the 60's ... but you're saying that it's going down and the buds from back there were really more potent >.<

^ What you read is propaganda, News stations will often tell storys of "modern killer weed" and "21 century super pot" But if you ask anyone that doesn't work for the government or a news station then they will tell you that is bullshit.

most strains from back in the 70s were developed and breed in california then thet moved to holland so they could work on them legally.

Hash said:
^ What you read is propaganda, News stations will often tell storys of "modern killer weed" and "21 century super pot" But if you ask anyone that doesn't work for the government or a news station then they will tell you that is bullshit.

:laughtwo: thanks for the tips there Hash, so has all the weed from back there been lost in the breeding or is there still some pure bud

There is still some pure buds, but at the rate we are going not for long

EDIT: Hahaha MV must of been reading my mind

sorry for not being in the know, but cloning ... why do you need to clone the new cross-breeds

can't you just make two of the cross breeds and then breed those together and keep going that way :hmmmm:

If you want to grow another female you clone a female (the females are the only ones that grow bud).

You could just make the male pollinate the female and get more seeds that way, but then your female will have seeds and be a hermy.

So to answer your Q, people will clone a new cross-breed to make sure they keep getting females of that new plant.

[me ranting] but can't you just cross more that two pairs of the plant you want to cross breed when you do it and that way you breed teh result you get from all that [end of me ranting]

Im not really sure what you are talking about, but cross-breeding is done by placing the pollen from a male plant onto a female plant. Then when the female is harvested, the buds you get from her will have seeds, because of the fact that you gave her pollen. Those seeds are the crossbreds.

MV have you ever fooled around with cross-breeding?

Hash said:
Im not really sure what you are talking about, but cross-breeding is done by placing the pollen from a male plant onto a female plant. Then when the female is harvested, the buds you get from her will have seeds, because of the fact that you gave her pollen. Those seeds are the crossbreds.

MV have you ever fooled around with cross-breeding?

Yes a little but I don't really don't know what makes everything work, can I yes, have I yes, but I really don't know shit about it... :hmmmm:
It is fun to play around but thats all and you can fuck your grow up for real if you make the right mistake..... :allgood:

MV....

^ I bet, Well there must be somebody in your area making crossbreeds because I have seen a few Matanuska strains in a seedbank.

If I ever get any decent seeds, I might give crossbreeding a try. But I also don't know much about it.

MatanuskaValley said:
You need them for breeding "clones" for seeds You can make more Female seeds like a woman and baby's lol

MV...

congrats on 420 MV

When we do try it again, we are going to make a different space away from the other one!! That pollen can get into the tiniest openings that you wouldn't believe!!! And you can end up pollinating everything in the area that's receptive!!! OMFG!!! What a MESS!! Was I delighted? Well, I am not sure....How many seeds do you think I need?? I think that was too many!!

Thank You

MV...

Back
Top Bottom