Dying Patient Kicked Out Of Hospital For Using Medical Marijuana

420 Warrior

"Any particles from vapor and odor could have an impact on other patients and hospital employees," UCSF said in a statement.

A medical marijuana celebrity with a brain condition said a local hospital kicked her out after she attempted to use medical marijuana inside.

Angel Raich, who fought for the right to use medical cannabis in the US Superme Court back in 2004 and 2005, talked to us outside of UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco moments after she said they booted her out.

"The pharmacist says 'you're not allowed to have canabus in this hospital,'" Raich said. "'And if you're gonna try to have canabus in this hospital we're going to call the Feds.'"

Raich said she checked into the hospital Monday morning for doctor-ordered tests on her brain. She suffers from chronic pain and seizures from an inoperable brain tumor and doctors didn't give her very long to live, she said.

"'You're basically saying if I stay it's like giving me a death sentence 'cause I'd have to be without my canibus,'" Raich said she told a hospital employee.

Raich said she had no choice but to leave the hospital.

"I'm in a state university hospital in the state of California," Raich said. "I have the right to have the same medical care as any other patient does."

UCSF Medical Center released the following statement:

"UCSF is a smoke-free campus and this includes medical marijuana. Several members of the media have asked if UCSF allows the use of a vaporized form of marijuana. It does not. Even a vaporized form of medical marijuana releases particles in the air that are damaging to the lung. Any particles from vapor and odor could have an impact on other patients and hospital employees.
Under federal and state law, a physician is at legal risk related to any activity that could be construed as prescribing medical marijuana to a patient."

During our interview with Raich, she appeared to have a seizure. When the fire department and paramedics arrived, Raich refused to return to UCSF. Instead, they took her to St. Mary's Hospital.

IMG_3621.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: NBC Bay Area
Author: Cheryl Hurd
Copyright: © 2012 NBCUniversal, Inc.

im going to collage to get my masters of science, at the end of collage ill be a medical lab scientist with a masters and 2 specialties, blood banking and R&D.

i was considering both UCSF and st. mary's. now after reading this im considering St. Mary's.

I won't be associated with any medical group that doesn't accept all viable treatments for their patients.

:peace:

I used to say, "Write to the offending hospital and voice your thoughts (in a calm and intelligent manner, of course)."

I still do. But it might prove interesting to write to the "Letters to the Editor" department of newspapers whose circulation area includes UCSF as well. Let their community (again, in a calm and intelligent manner) know what's happening in their community.

Anyone who can scientifically debunk the vaporizer worries might want to do that as well.

It would be nice to find out if they really do have concerns - whether or not they're grounded in reality - or if it's just an excuse for the sake of having one.

Unfortunately, as they probably get (some form of) federal aid, they could still hide behind the fear of DC.

I used to say, "Write to the offending hospital and voice your thoughts (in a calm and intelligent manner, of course)."

I still do. But it might prove interesting to write to the "Letters to the Editor" department of newspapers whose circulation area includes UCSF as well.

I've said the same thing a few times myself brother...That's precisely why we always add the source information to the articles. :)

It's there for a reason, It's there so everyone here who reads them, can go to the sites they came from and voice their opinions to those media companies, who are putting the articles out in the first place! There, you can tell the authors who write these things, exactly what you think of their point's of view as well.

All I'm doing, is bringing articles here for us to discuss, in a more fun and personal atmosphere, it's up to each and everyone here, whether they want to go the extra mile to let our voices be heard, or not...I choose to be a player, personally.

That's what I dig so much about hawking news, I get to chime in right under those articles, every time I see something I dislike about what I've just read...I get the first stabb at them, and don't think I don't plug 420 Mag while I'm at it either! I just love that part! :slide::winkyface:

That wasn't aimed at you brotha TSoul, I know you know this stuff, this was mainly for the fledgling advocate out there, wondering what more they can do. ;)

Anyone who can scientifically debunk the vaporizer worries might want to do that as well. :high-five:

It would be nice to find out if they really do have concerns - whether or not they're grounded in reality - or if it's just an excuse for the sake of having one.

Unfortunately, as they probably get (some form of) federal aid, they could still hide behind the fear of DC.

IDK? TS, maybe an "anti-pot fanatic" running the hospital and will "have no part of the devils weed in his hospital" crony!...Be, my best guess? lol

I take the time to respond to as many of the negative ones at their local level as possible, usually by email if I can find it on their website. Certainly not hard to educate their writers. Ironically, the ones that respond the most usually say something to the effect of "I'm just a writer trying to sell papers and pot is a controversial topic, I could care less one way or another so back off!", lol.

Yeah, that's one of the major problems. So-called news persons sensationalize their articles in every way possible with the inflammatory language they use instead of actually reporting events in an unbiased manner.

And people continue visiting their sites, buying their magazines, listening to their radio shows, and watching their television programs. Which allows them to generate ad revenue. So... they continue the odorous behavior.

Were I more mercenary than moral, I wouldn't blame them a bit; there's a dollar in it. But I do blame them - and the people who support their outrageous behavior by lapping up their dung.

Unfortunately, even 10,000 BAD responses serve to egg them on - because it is proof that people read their stories, tune in regularly, et cetera. That's why some of the most hated media personalities... are also the highest paid.

Sad, huh? It's tough trying to pay attention - and to dispute the craziness - without helping their paychecks at the same time.

Yea, but the beauty of responding right under the article, like I do, is that I get a chance to plug our beloved site and try and win more members here as I go...Understand?

I'm getting in with all the other people who are commenting to those articles and telling them about a place where they can, not only comment, but teach and learn as well...It's a joining of forces, if you will?

It's promoting for asses in the seats for our mission...feel me?

It's as clear to me now as it ever was, it's a matter of gathering forces for the big push!

Writing straight to these authors, if not done tactfully, is only directing a sense of anger towards them...Instead, find some common ground with them and then ease into what you feel they are missing in their articles. That will go much further than all out rage and anger will...It's the ease of persuasion that's the hard part. ;)

What I like to do is, find something good to say about their article, even if it's something small that you only kind of agree with, look for something positive, so that they are more at ease with your approach to them, then you kind of ease in to the real reason your writing them and then, still keep it on a level of calmness and appeal to their human or compassionate side (If they have one?)

There is a time for anger and there is a time for tactful persuasion...you want to put a splinter in their mind for the next article they write, that they may grow a conscience eventually...Make sense?

I love discussion like this, as this is where we all learn and grow together and that's what it's all about!

Thanks guys, y'all rock! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom