Early flowering

VARick

I had a runt in my veg grow and to move it outside into a hydro unit I have setup for tomatoes. The PH is 6.5 for the tomatoes. I was checking out the plant today and see that it is now moved into a flowering stage. I had moved another runt outside as well into soil and that doesn't seem to changed anything except it appears to be doing better outside than inside.
I don't know the strain (bagseed from a friend). I'd say it is about 12", has good roots going.
Daylight hours at the moment are just a touch over 13.
Any thoughts on why it went into flowering? I had moved it from 18/6, so perhaps that change in time sent it into flower?
Also with the days getting longer will this just screw it up completely?
I dropped the PH down and added some bloom nutes to the unit. We'll see if that mess'es with the tomatoes.

i'm pretty sure you answered your own question.... 18/6 down to 13/11.....it "should" go back into grow,,,,,

i'm pretty sure you answered your own question.... 18/6 down to 13/11.....it "should" go back into grow,,,,,

I would think the other that was moved outside at the same time would have gone into flower as well. I'll monitor that one and see if it follows suit.

Evey spring I see this same scenario play out. Everyone should know that reducing photo period throws cannabis into flower. The other plant will do it too. Don't put any clones or sexually mature plants outside before solstice (June 21st) unless you want them to flower. Some people try to get a spring harvest but that is tricky. At least for us north of the 35th parallel.

you would think, but how many believe they will ONLY sex when given 12/12?

Those lighting numbers are not set in stone. Sativas can be in 12-12 for months and not flower. Most of the strains available today are crosses of indicas and sativas so the exact photo period for flowering and the sexual maturity is not a perfect science. Most reputable breeders with a stable line can give you information about maturity, but they lack in details on what photo period throws them into flower. Since clones are most usually sexually mature in terms of age it can be deduced that simulating a fall or spring lighting photo period will begin the flower cycle.

There are other factors like the existance of stray light getting to the plants at night, or shadow periods during the day that can delay or promote flowering as well.

I have known people that have screwed up even when matching the outdoor photo period with the indoor. The safest thing is to wait until solstice to put a clone outside.

Back
Top Bottom