Ebay - Don't Make It Easy On The Cops!

Mr Spliff

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere on 420.

It amazes me just how many people buy their 'grow stuff' off Ebay with no thought as to the consequences.
It doesn't take a genius to see that someone regularly buying: HPS lights, hydroponic equipment, nutrients, pipes/hookahs, PH testers and any other 'grow/smoking paraphernalia', is not buying it for 'novelty' purposes or to grow orchids in their closet.
What is worse is when people use Paypal or other electronic payment systems to pay for their purchases...this is providing written proof of the purchases for the cops.
Ebay are under obligation to give out your name/address/details on request to the police if you are under suspicion of carrying out illegal activities, and a raid (bust) could soon follow.

I cannot comment on the way the law enforcement agencies conduct themselves in the U.S, Canada etc, but here in the UK police are now actively monitoring Ebay and investigating 'suspicious activities'.

It's not just nosey neighbours, the gas man, landlords and ex-mates who can get the cops calling on you...you can unwittingly do it to yourself!

So as they say in Hill Street Blues....'lets be careful out there!' :smokin:

(i hope i haven't broken any 420 rules by posting this thread, my intention was to give a 'heads up' to people who had never considered the consequenses of using Ebay for their gear).

well though it'd be stupid to buy a entire grow room set-up over ebay. one time purchases or spaced out ones won't raise any unessicary flags unless you've been previous targeted with other offenses. There are people in this world who use hydroponics and lights and nutrients for plants other than marijuana, i've had a few tomato plants in my time. Just don't be stupid and say buy some seeds and the next day order up some trays and a light. Cops can't get search warrants because you bought a grow light, they may watch you a little more closely, but then again anyone who is taking on the risks of cultivation illegaly should be on their game all the time, no stupid slip-ups, assume the respionsibility and know your consequences, they can watch and monitor all they like but without more evidence than "...this guy purchased a grow lamp off ebay....here's proof...." they can't get a warrant, and as a grower no other evidence should be even remotley available . Ebay just provides relief on buyers pockets and personally because a lot of my local grow stores are constantly monitored by patrol cars buying a big packaged light from ebay almost seems a little safer for me anyways. Just use common sense, put yourself in a feds shoes they need resonable evidence to ever make a bust:peace:

The trouble is, with Ebay, even if you buy things slowly one at a time, your feedback shows all your past purchases and paints a good picture of your antics.
Maybe in the U.S more 'evidence' is needed before a bust can be carried out, over here even a 'tip off' from an informer is enough to gain a warrant.
No doubt 1 or 2 out of 10 people are growing tomato's, orchids or whatever in their closet, but the cops are not daft and they know that the other 7 or 8 people are buying the gear for only one reason. Once the cops suspect you, they don't forget you!
With the penalties so severe, is it really worth the risk? - Or is it just me and the years of smoking are making me paranoid?
:icon_roll

Oh no, you mean all the thousands I spent on my grow collection on ebay is being watch?!

Yeah I bet lots of people never knew about this. I haven't thought about this when it comes to buying online. Thankfully I haven't brought anything off ebay.

I'll do you one better, don't order anything over the internet...EVER! If I can't call a phone number or visit in person and talk to a real living breathing human being then I don't bother. This goes for anything and everything, not just growing supplies. :peace:

Use money orders for purchases---any name or names can be filled in. In certain stores, it is even possible to purchase "credits" in a foreign currency or country. A little paranoia now can save much paranoia later on. Try to have an address that receives mail for many previous occupiers. I put up with catalogs, advertising and junk mail for previous tenants for just this purpose.

Many people purchase certain grow items for use of tomatoes or other legal plants, they cant just point out people and start saying they are using it for something that would be illegal, but yes it is important to not order large quantity from one place, have several places for your purchase, and put it in another name or so. I purchase items from a website that sells seized police items, but I buy stuff to turn around and make a buck or two on. It is legal to possess grow equipment but what you use it for is where the line gets drawn. They would need a probable cause to do a search.

We Americans are so complacent. Our liberties continue to disappear, yet most Americans are more upset if their cable TV is turned off than this loss of freedoms! Sad commentary of our society.

We Americans are so complacent. Our liberties continue to disappear, yet most Americans are more upset if their cable TV is turned off than this loss of freedoms! Sad commentary of our society.

Man it's good to see you Herb, I hope you are ok man.

I usually don't worry about it. Hydro stuff and lights isn't illegal so they can't and probably won't watch you or do anything unless they are GIVEN A REASON to watch you.

I usually don't worry about it. Hydro stuff and lights isn't illegal so they can't and probably won't watch you or do anything unless they are GIVEN A REASON to watch you.

Thats what I would call a false sense of security. Better safe then sorry. :peace:

From experience with my friends, who pay only cash at hydro stores, people get busted mainly for really stupid reasons. In the past week in my town 2 houses got busted, 1 for a foreclosure because the owner wasn't paying bill but tenant was and the second because it was on fire. 1 of 2 people got busted unluckily as they showed up when police were leaving...

We just had 3 guys in Denver caught with high powered rifles and fake ID's and admitting they were going to try and kill Obama and the Fed's are saying that is not ENOUGH evidence to arrest them....at least for that crime (not sure if they got anything else on them to keep them) so with that said if the Fed's are watching ebay that closely for a couple of purchases of hydro gear too close together then they REALLY have their priorities screwded up!!!!:peace:

Back
Top Bottom