Editorial: U.S. Drug War Invades Canada

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Victoria Times-Colonist - Marc Emery has surrendered to authorities and will soon be in an American prison, serving up to five years for the crime of shipping marijuana seeds across the border from Canada.

His incarceration will do nothing to stem the flow of drugs -- most more hazardous than pot -- to U.S. cities and it is not likely that any Americans who bought from him would even consider themselves as his victims.

But in putting Emery behind bars, the American authorities will claim a major victory in their war on drugs. They will also have set a shining example, a warning to anyone else who might think that selling illicit drugs could be a way to vast riches at no risk.

Let's be clear: Emery should not be seen as a hero or even a marijuana martyr, as he has been dubbed. He has simply been mixing the promotion of a business -- the sale of seeds -- with single-issue politics, namely the legalization of marijuana, for many years. His in-your-face style has been a key ingredient in his success, which in turn led to his downfall.

Emery has been on the leading edge of the fight for more liberal marijuana laws. As a result, he made many friends and many enemies.

He sent copies of his catalogues to politicians. He paid taxes on his pot-seed income. He did everything he could to legitimize his business, even after being convicted in 1998 of selling pot seeds. His fine was $2,000.

But that was in Canada, where we don't worry about marijuana as much as the Americans do.

Emery's mistake -- whether it was just another way to make money, or to make a statement -- was to sell those seeds into the U.S. through the mail.

He was indicted in July 2005, along with two associates, and charged with conspiracy to distribute marijuana and conspiracy to engage in money laundering. Those charges were dropped when Emery agreed to plead guilty to a charge of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana.

No matter what we think of Emery or of marijuana, this is a disturbing case.

A Canadian who did not leave Canada has been found guilty under American law and will serve time in the U.S.

In Canada, his punishment would have been a month in jail, assuming he had been arrested in the first place. ( Bear in mind that Health Canada had recommended that medical marijuana patients get their seeds from Emery. His business had a stamp of approval from the federal government. )

Yet Canadian authorities rushed to help the Americans go after Emery. As a result, he is being delivered to a U.S. prison and can be expected to serve a tough sentence.

It's acceptable to shoot her*oin in Victoria; you can even ask for a free needle. Selling marijuana seeds to someone south of the border? That's the go-to-jail card. Our attitudes toward drugs are so inconsistent that it's surprising anyone can keep them straight.

Canada had legitimate options that would have avoided this outcome. Instead, the government willing compromised sovereignty and helped bring the costly, futile U.S. war on drugs across the border.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Victoria Times-Colonist (CN BC)
Copyright: 2009 Times Colonist
Website: Victoria Times Colonist - Vancouver Island breaking news, sports, arts, culture, opinion, multimedia

But that was in Canada, where we don't worry about marijuana as much as the Americans do.
Now, as an American, I do not resemble this remark. So much as, the only worrying I do when it comes to marijuana is, where's the next bag going to come from?(I'm tryin' to nail that down right now undoubtedly). As an advocate of the cause though, I have problems with my government sticking their nose where it don't belong. These feelings started when the first Bush was president, and have continued as these pocket stuffing politicians have continued to stuff our people with propaganda and hiding the real reason they declare wars in the first place. The government here doesn't even comprise 1% of our population, and our "votes" really don't count. So please User, and anyone else that isn't American, do not let our government stigmatize your views of Real Americans. We are hard working people with values, and very busy lives. We did not help our government hunt down someone who sells seeds, which IMO is totally ridiculous anyway, like both our governments didn't have anything too pressing to do at the time. Wasting taxes to do this though makes me wonder how much your government was paid for his delivery? I guarantee it wasn't cheap! Bottom line Send Marc Emery back home. Now he is costing us money! someone really didn't think this through from a financial stand point;)

Back
Top Bottom