Effects Of Proposed California Marijuana Measure Debatable

Larry Mantle talked to experts from both sides during a panel at KPCC's Crawford Family Forum.

There are plenty of unresolved debates about the effects of marijuana, as well as the industry around its already-legal use for medicinal purposes. But, more fundamentally, panelists disagreed on how the issue of drug legalization should be framed.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, a strong opponent of the measure, said that it didn't provide for adequate regulation. His main objection, though, was a philosophical one.

"It's like releasing an oil spill in your own brain," he said. "It may not catch you at the initial point, but if you just keep on pouring into your system, you're taking away the spiritual divinity of your brain, and you're essentially establishing that you don't value the truth that your brain is your most precious resource. Keep it as healthy as you can... it's a theological and moral point."

John Russo, Oakland's city attorney, said he personally agreed with Baca, but supports the measure on practical grounds.

"That's a very deep question that goes to the values of the society," he said of drug addiction. "I'm looking at this, putting aside my personal views, in a very pragmatic way, which is, you're looking at a failed policy. What we have done doesn't work, any more than prohibition of alcohol worked in the '20s."

Jim Gray, a retired Superior Court of Orange County judge, agreed. Marijuana is California's largest cash crop, he said, and jails are full of prisoners convicted on charges of possession of marijuana.

"Let's understand, then, that it's here to stay," he said. "Let's stop moralizing about it and start managing the issue."

Both sides also disagreed on whether legalization would help or hurt public health. Baca said that while he supported medical marijuana, he worried that further relaxing restrictions would increase marijuana consumption.

"I deal with the consequences of addictive behavior — that's really what I'm against," he said. "The cost of the addiction, even if it's legal, are going to be more traffic accidents, more people who will become unbalanced mentally."

Pointing to Portugal, which decriminalized marijuana usage, Russo said he thought the new law would encourage addicts to seek help.

"It's a medical issue. It's a health care issue," he said. "Bring people closer to medical professionals that can help them, instead of, like we do, make them criminals and push them farther away. It works in Portugal. It will work here too."

Mark Kleiman, a professor of public policy and the director of the Drug Policy Analysis Program at UCLA, said that while Portugal and other countries, including the Netherlands, have allowed usage, California would be the first place to make the growth of marijuana legal. He said the vote is simply a choice between the lesser of two evils.

"I literally don't know how I'm going to vote on the initiative," he said. "We've got two appalling alternatives. We can wake up the day after Election Day, discovering that the voters even of California have decided to listen to the drug warriors one more time, and support the current drug war situation. That would be appalling. Or we could discover that the voters of California have, for the third time running, voted for a completely nonsense initiative, put together by the drug legalization movement, and that would be disgraceful."

He called the measure a "nonsense initiative," he said, because if it were passed, California law would still conflict with federal law banning marijuana use and consumption. Anyone who paid a tax on it would be confessing to a federal felony, he said.

Gray said he didn't think Washington would crack down on the law.

"The Obama administration has acknowledged one of the strong philosophical planks of our Constitution, namely the concept of federalism," he said. "And I have no doubt that he is going to, once we pass this, maybe say it was silly, maybe we were duped, but he's going to let us do it, and then it's going to work. He will not challenge the voters of California — that's a red herring."

With months before the election, the proposition's outlook is still hazy. But a poll taken in May by USC and the L.A. Times showed Californians reasonably positive on the measure, with 49 percent of registered voters supporting it, 41 percent opposed, and 10 percent still uncertain.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Southern California Public Radio 89.3 KPCC
Author: Ariel Edwards-Levy & Larry Mantle
Copyright: 2010 Southern California Public Radio

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Sorry... but if he is going after Arizona for their immigration law what makes you think Californian's will be safe...LOL Sheepy sheepy please wake up.

Again... this bill will only give everyone a false sense of security and those in the shadows will make all the money while those who will fall for this pay the price... Federal Prison.

So you don't believe laws can change and we are forever going to be sent to jail for consuming cannabis? It will never happen at the federal level first only with an initiative like this will anything ever change. You'd rather keep things the same?

It is completely unknown how the president and feds will react to this. You arguments are based on fear of the unknown and that I think that is a sad reason to to vote no.

Nope... I base it on the laws we have now. As a mmj user we have the government doing what they want and not what the people have voted for them to do. I do want the law changed... but not this poorly writen one. Again... this will land more people in jail than what is going on now. I sure hope I am wrong.

So you don't believe laws can change and we are forever going to be sent to jail for consuming cannabis? It will never happen at the federal level first only with an initiative like this will anything ever change. You'd rather keep things the same?

It is completely unknown how the president and feds will react to this. You arguments are based on fear of the unknown and that I think that is a sad reason to to vote no.

Sorry sir... I am not buying it. This bill as it is now will do nothing to curb the arrest rates as this bill does not protect the ages of those who are getting arrested the most and will serve only to possibly increase arrest rates and ruin young peoples lives.

Taken from the normal's web site stats

Again, this shows the current (well 9+ yrs ago) trend. This proposal does not change any laws for minors, so they are in the same boat they are in now. Alcohol, and tobacco are also regulated, and not available to minors. Minors getting caught with some weed are not going to have their lives ruined (any more than they would now), but the people who supply minors and get caught will be.

Is it better to deny millions of adults the ability to enjoy MJ recreationally because minors will not be able to? Should we make tobacco and alcohol available to minors? Or should we take them away from adults, because minors do not have access to them?

Any recreational substance would/should be regulated, and it is the only way any MJ proposal would be taken seriously.

No I am not saying that... the two reasons behind this bill is money and jail. But as you can see from these charts even with the mmj bill in effect, it will not curb arrests as the age of use is 21 over. As you can see from these stats... the leaders are 15-19 year olds with 20-24 year olds listed second highest.

Here we go taken from the Norml website again to prove my point! Grant you it is from Oregon but I fear it is not much better here in California and may be even higher here and this was posted 1/30/10 and updated 3/16/10:

Campaign For Liberty — Oregon Cannabis Tax Act (OCTA)

Young people and African-Americans are disproportionately affected by marijuana arrests.

Males aged 15 to 24 account for 52% of all marijuana arrests. While the national rate of marijuana possession arrests is 248 per 100,000, the arrest rate for males aged 15 to 19 is 1,911 per 100,000.
While the marijuana-use rate for African-Americans is only about 25% greater than for whites, the marijuana possession arrest rate for blacks is three times greater. This is not a regional disparity, but is seen in every state and most counties.

Sorry but the age group is not covered fully by this legalization bill.

you also forgot this part of the article
According to the 2007 NSDUH, 742,932 youths aged 12 to 17 sold illegal drugs in the preceding 12 months.

youth will do stupid things, and face the consequences.. this will not change.

This is a recreational substance, and as such should be regulated. Minors should not be allowed to use it, just like tobacco and alcohol. However, your argument that millions of adults should be denied the ability to enjoy it recreationally, because it will still be illegal for minors, is not a very stong argument. This should be for adults, period, end of story.

And, if it does become legal, then it will become even lower on LEO's todo list, so minors will pobably feel less heat anyways. maybe.. maybe not,, but the fact is, this will be a great thing for many millions of people in CA

as for money,, yes, I am sure it is,, just as most of the arguments from both sides are driven by money..

the states need money,, and will get a huge revenue stream from it, and the current growers are worried about losing their ability to make huge sums of money... so yes, it may be driven by money, but is still a better thing.

Since it is a recreational (mind-altering) substance,, it shold not be available to minors, and should be available to the same age group that alcohol is now.

If the driking age were 18, then I would say the smoking MJ age should be 18 as well... but it is not,,, the drinking age is 21,, they should both be the same, IMO...

I know this... but I say do not feed the hype. It was supposed to curb arrests and incarceration not just bring money into the coffers of the government.

Here we go... most current that I can find. 75% arresst rate for 30 and under with every 1 in 4 being 18 or younger. I am all for legalization but I want it done right... 18 and over with education for those who are under 18. Sorry but this bill will not do that and will further seek to feed the correctional dept.

NORML 2008 Conference: “The War on Pot Is a War on Young People” | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

I am going to go read that link you posted. I understand that part of the hype is lower arrests,, and it will do that, if adults no longer get arrested. Education and stuff for minors would be great, and this bill is not perfect, but it is a starting point.

Here we go... most current that I can find. 75% arresst rate for 30 and under with every 1 in 4 being 18 or younger.

so 75% are over 18, lets say then 50% is over 21,, that would reduce that 50% of arrests,,,,

and it may not have been mainly to bring money into the coffers of govenment,,, but that money is the only thing that will get the attention of government,,

and even with taxes, it will still cost less than it does now.. so we both win.

I do agree that the law should be more in line with alcohol, I believe the punishment for a minor with MJ (if the bill passes) is far greater than that same minor getting busted with alcohol.. (when I got busted as a minor with alcohol, 1/2 a case in the trunk, I lost my liscense, car got impunded, insurance got jacked, had to goto classes, cost me a fortune,, especially for a 17 yr old,, but I did not goto jail)

but with the stigma MJ has had in the public realm, especially with all the reefer madness education that our older generation grew up with, any reference to relaxation of rules for minors, I think, would be a certain death for it. So I think that if it passed,, tehn in the future, laws could be adjusted to bring it in line with alcohol,, but it will be one step at a time.

But again as the title says... it is a fight against our youth. I know the bill is not perfect but we need a better one than this. This is just my opinion as again I think it will give everyone a false sense of security and will do more harm to our youth than it will be good. Sorry but I side on the side of our youth over adults who can go out get a card, grow their own, carry 8 oz. with no legal problems and do it in the privacy of their own homes. If what I said was not already in place... I would be all for this bill.

Again... why do people drink... to have a good time, stress, anxiety, their depressed, ect.

some of those ailments are eligable for a rec. and as far as the money thing goes it is greed on both sides of this bill. However like it was told to me... these people can easily get a rec and grow their own for pennies on the dollar and not have to pay the high prices. I pay what I pay for convienence and lack of a decent grow space and the fact that my next door neighbor is a in home day care provider.

The biggest problem we have right now... is not so much the prohibition but that the government and the LE are not obeying the laws of the people. Get them to do that first and then we can win with legalization. Hold these elected officials accountable by their pocket books!

that may be in place where you are,,, but not where I am.. I am looking at it from the standpoint that this is bringing this topic front and center, and making people think about it, and that is a good thing. It will also open doors to other states legalizing it...

some quotes from the article..

There are several reasons why young people are far more likely, statistically, to be busted for weed than those over age 30. Most obviously, young people are more likely than their counterparts to smoke pot, and toke more frequently. They’re also more likely to indulge in places that will inadvertently attract law enforcement’s attention: in parks, dorm rooms, cars, dimly lit parking lots. Let’s face it, most teenagers aren’t going to go home and smoke weed in their room while their parents are home, though if they did, it’s far less likely they’d ever be arrested for it (of course, it’s possible that their parents’ might face legal repercussions, but that’s another story.)

Young people are also more likely to have frequent interactions with sellers of weed, an activity that also increases their likelihood of one-day being arrested. Of course, it’s not that young people enjoy hanging around drug dealers, but it’s that young people typically have less disposable income, which means they have to buy their pot in smaller quantities on more frequent occasions.

Young people are also more likely to take risks — and they’re also more likely to commit traffic violations. Both these actions, though unrelated to marijuana per se, greatly increase the likelihood that young people will have face-to-face contact with law enforcement, and this contact often ends in a pot arrest.

this will not change,,, kids do stupid things, and due to the unregulated market now... wait,, here is that part of the article

The war on weed endangers the health and safety of our children. It enables young people to have unregulated access to marijuana — easier access than they currently have to legal, age-restricted intoxicants like alcohol and tobacco. It enables young people to interact and befriend pushers of other illegal, more dangerous drugs. It compels young people dismiss the educational messages they receive pertaining to the potential health risks posed by the use of ‘hard drugs’ and prescription pharmaceuticals because kids say: “If they lied to me about pot, why wouldn’t they be lying to me about everything else too.”

so in reality, by regulating this, and strenthening the penalties for providing to a minor, it will restrict the availability of pot to minors, and reduce usage, therby reducing the youth exposure to LEO contacts and arrest..
If youth see it available to adults for recreational use, then it is not as taboo, and may not be as inclined to use it. If the penalties for selling to minors are increased, and the profit is taken away, because prices come down due to legalization, then the risk of selling to a minor will become too great for the profit, and the supply available to minors will be reduced,

so, in reality, this will help our youth..

I do not see it that way... Supply and demand will dictate this. The more supply the more accessable it will be. Again... leo can't be everywhere and the black market will take a hit but will increase its sales to youth. The black market will in fact not go away and will open a new market to the youth of our state. However if you want to take it out of their hands... you make it legal for 18 and up and make it harsh on them for anyone under this age. By these stats... it will not matter it will hurt our youth more than it will do good for them. As you can see it is illegal and the youth keep using it. The only thing this bill will do.. is make it more accessable and lower the price.... at the cost of our youth being incarcerated. Remember... the black market does not care who they sell it to.

Also it is not about it being taboo... it is about having a good time and breaking the law when it comes to kids. They will still be breaking the law and having a good time doing it...LOL

However... if we lower the age limit you will cut out the black market for the most part but you will have straglers and they can be dealt with harshly. Also parents need to be involved.

I do not see it that way... Supply and demand will dictate this. The more supply the more accessable it will be.

yes, supply and demand,, if everyone can grow, supply goes way up, if everyon can grow, demand goes way down,, if supply is up, and demand is down, then prices have to come down.
If prices come down, and there is not much profit, but the risk is great, then people will not take that risk to sell to minors..

Again... leo can't be everywhere and the black market will take a hit but will increase its sales to youth. The black market will in fact not go away and will open a new market to the youth of our state.

if a new market opened up, it would be low profit, high risk,, very bad business model... and as a youth, if I know my parents, older sibling, friend, etc can get it for 62.50/oz, why would I pay 75 for 1/8 on the black market?

However if you want to take it out of their hands... you make it legal for 18 and up and make it harsh on them for anyone under this age.
that would be great, I would love to see that, if not, then reduced punishment to go along the lines of alcohol,,, but I think people under 40 smoke way more than people over 40,, the older gen, is larger, voting, and more powerful, and I doubt that it would even be considered, unless it had the same legal age as alcohol.

By these stats... it will not matter it will hurt our youth more than it will do good for them. As you can see it is illegal and the youth keep using it. The only thing this bill will do.. is make it more accessable and lower the price.... at the cost of our youth being incarcerated. Remember... the black market does not care who they sell it to.

again, if it is more accessable and lower price, then that will dry up the black market.. however, I think regulation will actuall make it harder for minors to obtain. When I was a kid, I could get alcohol pretty easy, granted, but pot was easier... Even though beer is in just about every corner store in america, alot more accessable and cheaper than pot, but the youth use pot more,, why? becasue it is easier to get.. Regulation will make it more difficult to obtain, since it will take the profit away and increase the risk to the seller.

yes, supply and demand,, if everyone can grow, supply goes way up, if everyon can grow, demand goes way down,, if supply is up, and demand is down, then prices have to come down.
If prices come down, and there is not much profit, but the risk is great, then people will not take that risk to sell to minors..

if a new market opened up, it would be low profit, high risk,, very bad business model... and as a youth, if I know my parents, older sibling, friend, etc can get it for 62.50/oz, why would I pay 75 for 1/8 on the black market?

that would be great, I would love to see that, if not, then reduced punishment to go along the lines of alcohol,,, but I think people under 40 smoke way more than people over 40,, the older gen, is larger, voting, and more powerful, and I doubt that it would even be considered, unless it had the same legal age as alcohol.

again, if it is more accessable and lower price, then that will dry up the black market.. however, I think regulation will actuall make it harder for minors to obtain. When I was a kid, I could get alcohol pretty easy, granted, but pot was easier... Even though beer is in just about every corner store in america, alot more accessable and cheaper than pot, but the youth use pot more,, why? becasue it is easier to get.. Regulation will make it more difficult to obtain, since it will take the profit away and increase the risk to the seller.

Everything is debatable and we will have to see... and yes people under 40 smoke alot of it... but it is the arrest rate of 15-20 that has me concerned. Also the chart that I posted could be used as this new article from Norml will back it up as the arrest rate has increased every year by 2%+ .

The reason I am voting no is:

It will not really curb the arrest rate of 15-20 year olds.

Black market will still be hear as no one will cater to the youth but the black market.

right now it is legal and people with a rec can grow their own, have up to 8 oz on their person and any age can smoke or use concentrates with a rec.

The biggest problem we have... is the LE and elected officials not fallowing the law of the people!

the fact that greed on both sides are hurting the marijuana movement... however this point mutes both sides out.

So what about the "Parents" who approve of their kids growing and smoking at Home?

I believe it is accepted to let your kids drink at home, Not your kids friends.

I see many challenges to this in the future when this passes.

Everything is debatable and we will have to see... and yes people under 40 smoke alot of it... but it is the arrest rate of 15-20 that has me concerned. Also the chart that I posted could be used as this new article from Norml will back it up as the arrest rate has increased every year by 2%+ .

yes, everything is debatable.. but the article you pointed out states that the very act of the prohibition has increased the availability of pot to the youth.. regulate it and remove the access.

The reason I am voting no is:

It will not really curb the arrest rate of 15-20 year olds.

Black market will still be hear as no one will cater to the youth but the black market.
I can see a black market when the profit is 1000%, but if it is 10%, I do not see the same market,, the risk is too high for the reward.

right now it is legal and people with a rec can grow their own, have up to 8 oz on their person and any age can smoke or use concentrates with a rec.

yes, but the non medical user cannot. no matter what age, so, if someone does not have a medical need for MJ, they should be denied, because we cannot give pot to 15-20 yr olds? Are you seriously advocating legalizing MJ for 15 year olds?

The biggest problem we have... is the LE and elected officials not fallowing the law of the people!
no argument from me here.. let's give them something else to go after

the fact that greed on both sides are hurting the marijuana movement... however this point mutes both sides out.

again,, money is the grease that makes the world go 'round.... without it, nothing gets done.. sad, ,but that is the society we live in.

yes, but the non medical user cannot. no matter what age, so, if someone does not have a medical need for MJ, they should be denied, because we cannot give pot to 15-20 yr olds? Are you seriously advocating legalizing MJ for 15 year olds?

No... only for medical purposes only. Again what I meant by this is, that it will not go away and could possibly go up with the accessability of it. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom