Effort To Oppose The I-502 Legalization Campaign Led By, Medical-Marijuana Patients?

420 Warrior

Perfect or not, Initiative 502 is the only viable campaign we've ever seen in Washington State to end these laws–and surmount a real challenge to federal prohibition–and the measure, as I reported yesterday, is on the road to making the 2012 ballot.

But some medical-marijuana patients have recently come out opposing I-502. As we reported when I-502 was filed in June, the measure backed by prosecutors and public-health leaders is the most cogent, competent effort in US history to legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana. Certain medical pot activists, however, are complaining that I-502 doesn't allow people to grow pot at home (only buy it in stores), that it only allows adults to buy and possess one ounce of pot (patients could still have up to 24 ounces, but they say the one-ounce limit is too restrictive), and that a DUI provision is so toxic that the entire measure should be rejected. They've even launched a website called Patients Against I-502.

Edward Agazarm, one of the initiative's loudest critics promoting the aforementioned website, sent an email the other day with a subject line declaring that I-502 was "rape by cops w/guns and the ACLU."

"Rape"?

The "rape"–according to Agazarm–is that I-502 sets a per se cut-off for stoned driving. It would penalize drivers with 5 nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood with a gross misdemeanor. "That level is NOT supported by science and would subject patients to highly-invasive blood testing, unnecessary confinement and a criminal conviction that will haunt them for life," the activists' website says. They're right that the science is minimal and some people could exceed that limit if they are regular medical-marijuana users.

But it's dishonest to declare that this measure will subject people to more blood testing or result in a change of policing protocol. If voters pass I-502, officers would be held to the same standards as they are today: They would still require probable cause to stop a car, evidence of driver impairment, and any tests would have to be conducted by a medical professional (typically at a medical clinic or an ER). Those are the standards now, they wouldn't change, and we hardly ever see those consequences for medical marijuana patients now because they aren't impaired and cops don't have probable cause to stop their vehicles. If cops didn't have probable cause or evidence of impairment, but took action anyway, a defense attorney could move to have the whole thing tossed out–just like today.

Some medical marijuana patients note that the cut-off is automatic–anyone who exceeds 5n/mg is automatically guilty of DUI. But I-502 actually does something very useful for marijuana users accused of DUI. It separates active metabolites, which indicate inebriation, from THC-COOH, the inactive metabolite that remains in the system for days or weeks. In other words, it tests to see whether people are currently stoned, not simply whether they've used marijuana in the past month.

Why include the DUI language and the provision about only purchasing pot in licensed stores? So the initiative will pass. That's what New Approach Washington's polling showed would win (54 percent to 38 percent). That DUI provision alone prompted 62 percent of voters to say they were more likely to support I-502, and only 11 percent said it would make them less likely, according to a poll in May by Quinlan Rosner Research. And the critics should remember: Authorized patients could still grow, use, and exchange pot under the existing medical-marijuana law passed by voters in 1998.

Explaining why the DUI provisions, analogous to the blood-alcohol content limit at 0.08, were so persuasive with voters, New Approach Washington campaign director Alison Holcomb says: "Nobody likes people driving a two-ton piece of metal on the public highway while they are impaired and putting people at risk of death or serious injury. That is not acceptable in our society."

Is this new measure the perfect package–is it an ideal scenario for marijuana users? No.

No law is ever perfect for everybody, and waiting for the perfect law means waiting forever without ever changing the horrible law.

But is I-502 winnable? Is it better than what we have now? Is it the best shot this country's ever had at lowering those numbers that keep climbing in the ticker at the top of those post? Yes, yes, yes. It's too bad that minor–and likely inconsequential–elements of the proposal are being twisted by a handful of "rape"-screaming, histrionic, would-be supporters to undermine their own movement.

safe_image.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Stranger
Author: Dominic Holden
Copyright: © Index Newspapers, LLC

Re: Effort To Oppose The I-502 Legalization Campaign Led By, Medical-Marijuana Patien

I read 502 from cover to cover
I knew that I probably would be over the limit most of the time but I haven't been pulled over for 3 yrs and don't intend to in the future
but your thinking they need probable cause to pull you over is wrong
think again a cop told me that he pulled me over for a burnt out taillight that wasn't out I got out of my truck and looked after he left It was fine I still got a no ins ticket ... when I got to court I tried to get out of it with no probable cause defence NO DICE so I wouldn't expect the courts to help you out

on the other hand I know that by the time they get me to a clinic to take blood I will be sober ( no cop will be taking blood from ME)
if they take me in I will ask for a lawyer to be present to observe them taking my 5Th amendment rights away (yes physical evedence is protected by the constitution)

for the med ppl in wash this law dosent change a thing
so whats there problem
IMHO sounds like someone got a payoff from Big Pharma /Budwiser/Philip Moris
or maybe the industrey that does drug tests

thanks for reading
4/20/08 but you can call me 4

Re: Effort To Oppose The I-502 Legalization Campaign Led By, Medical-Marijuana Patien

I 502s purpose is not to legalize MJ, but rather control and overtax it. It splits the sales process to 3 separate entities and then imposes a 25% tax at each level. This results in a 75% end user tax. This will bring the cost through the ceiling and no-one will be able to purchase it. We already have RCW 69.51A which protects medicinal use. Now the state needs to decriminalize sane recreational use and provide for fair commercial distribution and fair taxing. I cannot and will not support I 502 and urge no-one else to either!

so who is paying you to type that 420 rx do you work for big pharma or maybe Budweiser

I do agree that 75% is a lot in tax but do you think that med cannabis ppl should be the only ppl that get to use it some of us cant afford to go to the doctor let alone pay to get a card
I have medical reasons to get a card but no money so the way the law sits now only the rich can get it

I also agree that this law isn't perfect
I should be able to grow my own when I want
but to say totally legal or not legal at all is wrong I would rather have some gray area

and if they over price then the black market will take over and the state wont make any money
the growers will be able to produce for cheaper and sell for cheaper than the black market
now even with the taxes so an Oz for $100 wont be uncommon

I can and will support I 502 and urge everyone else to

so who is paying you to type that 420 rx do you work for big pharma or maybe Budweiser

I do agree that 75% is a lot in tax but do you think that med cannabis ppl should be the only ppl that get to use it some of us cant afford to go to the doctor let alone pay to get a card
I have medical reasons to get a card but no money so the way the law sits now only the rich can get it

but to say totally legal or not legal at all is wrong I would rather have some gray area

and if they over price then the black market will take over and the state wont make any money
the growers will be able to produce for cheaper and sell for cheaper than the black market

I can and will support I 502 and urge everyone else to
In Washington you don't need an authorization to be a legal MMJ patient. We're the only state that has that law. If arrested you will have to bring medical records to the court to show the judge you're covered. I don't bother getting the authorization any more. In the end the authorization does nothing in Washington. If the officer wants he can confiscate all your product and grow gear and make you show up in court to dispute it.

I will vote no against the latest intiative just purely on the dui clause. The industry standard for a positive cannabis test is 50ng. %ng means that virtually everyone MMJ patient and most everyone that uses cannabis more than once a week will test positive. That means virtually all of us will be law breakers if we climb in behind the wheel. We already have enough problems with cops, we don't need to add to it.

First off I don't work for any interest and haven't been paid to type. Second you must not have read my complete post as I said Wa State needs to revamp the current laws to include safe and sane adult use even for recreation purposes. However, I am not going to accept or support a proposed law that gives the state complete control of a free market and a 75% surcharge. As far as black marketeers go if what you say about your assumed process that will lower prices automatically then why isn't and hasn't the price been that low since 1972. If you can't afford to purchase a card then how do you afford to use cannabis? I couldn't afford it either nor to purchase cannabis at the present rates. So I ate rice and beans for about 6 months before I got the med authorization and a home grow setup. Also you can form a collective to spread the equip cost with other authorized persons. It makes no sense to pass a bad law, as I-502 is, just to get something instead of nothing. Thats how we ended up with Obamacare! Totally legal or not legal at all is not my aim as we already have the gray area without much state gov't. control. I don't want more gov't. control over my life and I-502 proposes to do so.

QUOTE=4/20/08;1487243]so who is paying you to type that 420 rx do you work for big pharma or maybe Budweiser

I can and will support I 502 and urge everyone else to[/QUOTE]

well it pased and the med ppl didnt fall off the earth

I am glad
I have a naibor that is a sherif and he said that wash dosent have a test yet but If the officers are to get the blood test just the same
he also said he wont be taking anyone for that cause he knows that most ppl that smoke reglar smokers dont drive any worse

thanks for reading

you statment in this quote is totalty wrong you have to have a card so you go tell the cops you are growing without it and see what happens even if you show that you have a reason to get it you still have to pay to get a card or you are the same as someone that is growing for profit in the eyes of the law

there test is only to test for atcive thc in your system

In Washington you don't need an authorization to be a legal MMJ patient. We're the only state that has that law. If arrested you will have to bring medical records to the court to show the judge you're covered. I don't bother getting the authorization any more. In the end the authorization does nothing in Washington. If the officer wants he can confiscate all your product and grow gear and make you show up in court to dispute it.

I will vote no against the latest intiative just purely on the dui clause. The industry standard for a positive cannabis test is 50ng. %ng means that virtually everyone MMJ patient and most everyone that uses cannabis more than once a week will test positive. That means virtually all of us will be law breakers if we climb in behind the wheel. We already have enough problems with cops, we don't need to add to it.

Back
Top Bottom