Emergency Pump dead

5chord

Sorry for the sense of urgency, but early this morning I noticed the submersible pump in my 8gal 6-plant tote RWDC was making a funny noise and I could feel with my fingers that the roots were definitely getting sucked in..........When I came home for lunch, I pulled out the hose going into the net pot and sure enough all 6 hoses were not recirculating any water......So I pulled out all the hoses from the netpots and pulled the plug on the submersible.......The air stone is still bubbling the water pretty good, but how should I proceed? could removing the roots from the pump cause plant death? Should I just leave them alone as they will be sexed and transplanted in a few days into a new larger container? I'm pretty shook right now!

20150304_110537.jpg

:yikes:

After work I went to the Hydro store and picked up a bunch of supplies including 2 new pumps and materials for 2 new grow totes.....14 gal veg and an 18 gal Bloom tank..........I built the new submersible 6 nozzle drip rig and replaced the old one....It was full of dead roots and was shot......Oh, and I got a pump filter bag! It would have been nice to have heard of that before.....I had to handle the roots a lot more roughly than I would have liked, but although they are visibly stressed, I think they'll be ok

If you have a pump in the bucket and the bucket is not connected to other buckets, the pump is not really needed. Only the air pump is critical because the roots need air. And sufficient enough to circulate the water as well. Provided you have good coverage on the bottom with multiple air Stone's.
I'd pull the pump out indefinitely. But if you like it, but a clothe paint strainer over it after you pull the roots out. Be careful, but the roots will be fine even if you loose a little.
I would not run a pump with roots present. You'll burn up your pumps. We go to great effort to keep anything from coming in contact with pumps in a plant. if your roots are long enough, convert it to bubble bucket. Less problems.

Thanks Bud,

I like the idea of a highly oxygenated top-drip so I'm going with the pump and all the drama that comes with it:hookah: Hopefully there will be a lot less now that I have a better pump and it's in a filter bag:)

Back
Top Bottom